Want a cheap Freeview / HDD Recorder package

Hi guys…

I’ve decided that I’m ditching Sky, in favour of a cheaper solution. I was wondering whether you guys know of a good, cheap freeview and HDD recorder package?

Should I buy two boxes, or would there be a cheap media centre solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Topuptv.com. I got my box from there. It gives me access to various other programs than standard Freeview and records certain proggys that I might enjoy to a HDD, which it stores for 6 days. I can record programmes manually as well.

When you cancel sky you usually keep your sky box, and it allows you to watch all the freeview tv and radio channels, or so i belive. Would save the cost of purchasing a freeview box.

I went for a fairly cheap media center option.

£50 for Freeview card (Leadtek DV1000T IIRC…I can check later if needs be)
£50 for mobo + 1.8Ghz Duron + 512Mb RAM
£25 case
£35 Nvidia 5200fx
Blagged DVD drive.

Works ok at what it does. Records nicely as well.
Maybe a bit expensive for a one off but then there is no extra to pay every month. Recorded TV stays for good as well.

the media centre option sounds great, but I wonder whether the case fan might be a bit noisier than other options?

Are there silent options out there?

Only problem is it doesn’t work yet :rolleyes:

/ Deaky eagerly awaits TUTV OTA download to cure all the boxes faults :frowning: scheduled Jan 8th :xfinger:

[QUOTE=mmprophet;361509]the media centre option sounds great, but I wonder whether the case fan might be a bit noisier than other options?

Are there silent options out there?[/QUOTE]

There are. I went for the desktop that just pretends to be media center. After using this one, I’ve become a fan of the media center now and know now what I want to do for the next one.

I’d get a silent option case or whatever and I’d fork out the extra for MCE (or VIsta with the MCE bits…whatever one has it…premium?) I’d also need to figure out how to have the music coming out without the TV being on.

[QUOTE=Deaky;361634]Only problem is it doesn’t work yet :rolleyes:

/ Deaky eagerly awaits TUTV OTA download to cure all the boxes faults :frowning: scheduled Jan 8th :xfinger:[/QUOTE]

:confused: Mine seems to be OK. The only thing that does not work is the subtitle button, but I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet.

the media option still sounds like the most viable option to me…I need to get it clear in my head how I would hook it all up and how I would use it…after that it’s just getting one together.

The other thing is that I would want to pass it through my logitech home cinema system.