Want to setup web/dbase server on *nix - advice plz

I want to learn more about administering web and database servers under *nix environments.

I am open to suggestions as to what platform would be best to do this under. My first thought would probably be FreeBSD, but I’ve tried a couple of times to install FreeBSD and got about as far as inserting the CD

:amstupid:

I would also want to install and configure the various applications from source, so any noddy guides on this would also be very useful.

Thanks,

Matt. :slight_smile:

Been thinking fo trying my hand at this *nix apache mysql php rubbish of late too, so any n00b guides would go down good for me and mince methinks! :smiley:

Butuz

Get Redhat9, I think it has all of the goodies you want and with a high speed connection it is a breeze to update and patch.

FreeBSD (which is not Linux) is a little bit more scary than your average Linux disto, not some much hardware support, applications and so forth.

However it’s rock solid and I would recommend it for production systems (if you don’t want to use OpenBSD for so reason).

I would suggest either RH 8 or higher or failing that Mandrake latest. These are a lot better for cutting your teeth on.

The best guide to compiling and installing from source is usually the “INSTALL” file that comes this the source.

Usually it amounts to

./configure
make
make install

For example to install Apache with default settings it’s:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
make
make install

Start apache

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectrl start

Anyway feel free to post your questions on here. IRC is always good for a helping hand too. Usually MAOJC or I is in there.

My vote goes for Trustix Secure Linux: http://www.trustix.net

I’ve used most flavours of Linux and this is the only one (for servers) that gets the balance right.