weird network shenannygoats?

hi folks,

got a wierd problem on my network that i cant put my finger on the cause.

my network looks like this

adsl–>router (10/100+wireless)—>gigabit switch—>pc

my wireless clients have no problem connecting to the internet but my wired network is having huge problems. i am able to ping out the the internet and doing a tracert to google also completed with no issues.
if i try and open a web page or connect to a web service (msn or my mail servers) then its slower than dialup. i have tested copying some large files arround internaly and couldnt see any problems within the lan, just wired lan to wan.

anyone got any ideas?

first thing I’d check is… unplug all machines from the router (including wireless laptops etc) except 1. Check the speeds on that one. Repeat for another pc.

this should help narrow it down if one of your pc’s is causing an issue on your LAN.

just a good place to start :slight_smile:

how many pc’s do you have btw ? all win7 now? dhcp all round or static ip’s?
try some speed tests on different machines too - http://www.speedtest.net/

my guess is either your router is fu’bared, you’ve a dodgy port somewhere on switch/router. Are all your wired pc’s plugged into the switch with a single uplink to the router ?

i have a combination of statics and dhcp machines, a mix of win7, xp and ubuntu the problem is visible with only 1 machine on. i cannot load the speedtest page on any of my wierd clients but if i then powerup a laptop and run it it works no problems.

yes wired lan is uplinked, i have tried replacing the cable and bypassing the switch in favour if a direct connection to the router.

i got to admit im thinking the same thing, just really dont wanna be shelling out for a new one unless i really really have to

[QUOTE=Spaceboy;444347]first thing I’d check is… unplug all machines from the router (including wireless laptops etc) except 1. Check the speeds on that one. Repeat for another pc.

this should help narrow it down if one of your pc’s is causing an issue on your LAN.

just a good place to start :slight_smile:

how many pc’s do you have btw ? all win7 now? dhcp all round or static ip’s?
try some speed tests on different machines too - http://www.speedtest.net/

my guess is either your router is fu’bared, you’ve a dodgy port somewhere on switch/router. Are all your wired pc’s plugged into the switch with a single uplink to the router ?[/QUOTE]

is it a DNS problem with your wired clients ? can you ping / traceroute to the speedtest site ?
I’ve had to use opendns servers as BeThere have dns issues quite often :wink: (DNS server 208.67.222.222)

am I right in assuming that both dhcp and static wired clients have this problem, whether they are connected to the switch or straight to the router ? and it’s all the wired machines ? If so, then the single point they have in common would seem to be the router’s lan ports… can you borrow / install a wireless dongle in one of the PC’s to test ?

im also a user of opendns i can ping and tracert with no decernable lag or drops.

i have put the mrs pc on wireless and on wireless its fine.

guess a trip to pcworld is in order…

Depending on what functionality your gigabit switch has if its got a webinterface and options check things like ‘frame size’, could be an issue of sending large packets to the 10/100.

Check your HOSTS file if windows. Also set the ethernet to half dup to see if that helps. I have seen some ports from wireless to wired just act crazy…try another port also for the linking.

well i replaced the router and everything is fine now, i had tried other ports on the router but that haddnt helped.

thanks for the help folks

I’ve got a Netgear router that keeps doing this, really should replace it…