Whos is going to swear alliegance to the Queen ?

If it wasn’t for my lack of abilities learning other languages, I probably would have been outta here long ago. Every day the current government is in power this country gets worse and worse. At least the current guy on top seems to suck less than his predecessor.

It is not a question of whether you like the country or not, it is a question of democracy: Do I have the right to oppose the Queen ?
If not then we live in a country that has little meritocratic values; just like the members of Shin Fein who were voted into the British Parliament, but could not sit as they would have to swear allegiance to the crown, despite being republicans.
I would rather stay in this country and attempt to improve it, but the powers that be, who have long used the crown and god to rule over us, still try to force this jingoistic crap onto us.
In the words of the late Bill Hicks, “I can’t help where my parents f**ked”, so why should I pledge allegiance to laws that were placed here to protect the wealthy and privileged, just because of my place of birth?

Much as I hate to say it, the Queen is now nothing more than a taditional figure head. Where the Monarchy once had absolute power, it is now nothing but a shadow of its former self.

Lets take a look at the word “treason” - here are a few general definitions:

• citizen’s actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]."
  • an act of deliberate betrayal
  • any attempt to overthrow the government or impair the well-being of a state to which one owes allegiance; the crime of giving aid or comfort to the enemies of one’s government
  • the offense of acting to overthrow one’s government or to harm or kill its sovereign

Now I’m English born & bred, so as far as I’m concerned the ruler of my Country is the Queen - not the Government. I believe I’m also right in saying that the Queen still retains the power to tell the Government to take a running jump if She feels the need to do so (for the continued well being of the country and its people ?).
Given the past performances of this Government on the issues about Europe, The Middle East, etc etc, I get the feeling She’s quite happy to see England torn to shreds by a Government acting in a treacherous way.

… or am I commiting an act of treason by saying so ?

I don’t know enough about the laws and how this stuff works really but i honestly think our government seriously needs to get it’s priorities straight.

i wont ever swear alliegance to queen or country. i dont see why i should swear alliegance to an unelected spunger! that being said i wouldnt swear alliegance to the elected ones either. my only alliegance is my partner.

This is only a ceremony and if the Queen was to interfere in matters of a political nature she would be removed at once.

The power the monarchy held was removed after the civil war, and any other powers have been removed from them during various reforms of law.

Just remember that it was only in 1936 that Edward VIII was forced to abdicate because he meddled in politics (was caught giving secrets to the Nazis), and his marriage to Wallis Simpson was used as an excuse.

If he had been a commoner he would have been hanged for treason.

oh right :slight_smile:

I guess that means we have no use for a Monarchy (apart from increasing the tourism trade) and makes the Goverment untouchable then :tiphat: