Winter Motoring product reviews

You may have noticed its cold and everything is grinding to a halt out there.

What products are you buying for cold weather motoring and are they any good ?

I’ll start off with Halfords night before de-icer

Product claims on the bottle

• Prevents frost bonding to windscreens
  • prevents freezing down to -25’C
  • Saves time on frosty mornings

Now if they had added “Free handy bottle to put something else in” as well I could have believed at least one of the claims.
As it stands, one trial of this on a -7’C morning left a frosty windscreen that needed scraping or a trip back indoors for a jug of warm water.
Used on mirrors and side windows it left a murky film that needed to be washed off.

Verdict : Avoid buying, hope you dont get some for Christmas

Well I was hoping to write a glowing/scathing or possibly indifferent review of some Bridgestone snow tyres.
The trouble is, it hasnt flaming snowed since they went on despite all the reports of people being snowed in.

The tyres I have are

Item No.: R-172767
Item: Bridgestone Blizzak LM-30 215/55 R16 97H XL M+S marking Fully Fitted (Wi)
Quantity: 2

Having driven on cold wet roads with them they are certainly grippier than the “Enduro Runways” that I had before but until I have a road generously covered in the Deep And Crisp And Even the next review is on hold.

Bring on the snow!

today, in winter motoring tips from DT.

If you spend an entire Sunday caking the car in mud, including the underside, kick off the bits around the wheel arches, prop-shaft and exhaust BEFORE they freeze. Because when things expand as frozen, your entire car judgers for a few hundred yards until it all starts to fall off :slight_smile:

I couldn’t get it free of the frozen mud with the crowbar!!! Hot water was needed to free a propshaft jammed in solid mud!! Whoops.

DT.

Aha, Snow at last.
I’m just off out to work in six inches of fresh snow, if this is my last post ever the review can be classed as “Poor : Do not buy”