Wireless file sharing nightmare

Firstly excuse my lack of knowledge in the Network arena. I am a novice but wanting to learn

I have a Belkin wireless network card on my desktop. A Belkin wireless USB adapter on the laptop. I have a philips wireless gateway connected to the desktop via ethernet cable.

Both connect to the tinter and wireless network fine. I want to file share between the two but they arent playing.

Neither show up under ‘network places’. I have tried pinging each one. No joy (the router responds to both).

I have run Network setup wizard on both and selected file sharing.

Im running out of ideas, patience and hair.

Any ideas please?

Set the wireless into adhoc mode instead of structured mode I believe is that setting. might have to set the hub up the same way (adhoc), just use wireless with the room mates comp to allow him to access the net through mine. if we need to transfer files cd-r is cheap, especially being I don’t want him snooping around my comp when I’m not around.

I have a Belkin wireless network card on my desktop. A Belkin wireless USB adapter on the laptop. I have a philips wireless gateway connected to the desktop via ethernet cable.

Now I might be reading this wrong but to me this reads that your connected to the network twice from your desktop machine, you say it has a belkin card AND a wired ethernet connection direct to the hub. You only need one, if you have 2 your going to have problems. I would remove or at least disable the belkin card for the moment untill you get this all working.

Things to check and report back with, IP addresses for both machines (go to command prompt, “ipconfig /all” will give the most complete ammount of info). Model of router, do you know if it’s set to DHCP? if any sort of firewall is set up on it? and last but not least, is there a firewall running on either machine, Zone alarm will block pings and can be set to hide itself quite nicly so you don’t even know it’s there.

Something for you to be going on with…

Oh and welcome to the forums :wave:

Good advice from Damski.
Presumably you have set up a local workgroup on both machines and the name the same. If you suspect the wireless in any way and providing you have at least two LAN ports on your gateway, get it going first on ethernet cable between both machines and the gateway.
In the local area connection properties set the TCP/IP properties to obtain IP and DNS server address automatically.

Cheers guys, I am messing as I type.

What happened to Plug & Play?:rotate:

I’ve never heard of Plug & Play when it comes to networking. I’ve almost always had to do some fiddling around to get the networking correct.

Turns out the network card on my desktop was dodgy.

Replaced and now I’m swapping files for fun.

Well done :slight_smile: