XP SATA drive recognition

Not posting for help but for future reference. (Note: moved SATA drive to slave on second box for all checkdisk, virus searches, and formats)

Got a nasty virus and tried to recover. Found the bugger but when I tried to remove it it got mad and destroyed Windows files. Tried run XP (SP2) setup to repair and try to save time not having to copy all my files again. Setup BSOD’d at “Starting Windows” and said check for viruses and run checkdisc. Did that several times with same thing.

Formatted drive. Tried instal with the same result at the same spot in setup. Fought this for biggest part of a work day.

Solution: In BIOS change HD to compatabilty (IDE, ATA) mode. (Refereced in my BIOS as RAID *** ATA. No idea why single drive is referenced as RAID now… I’m not that technically proficient, BUT this will allow install to continue if you have this problem. Also streamlined SP3 disc may not have this problem… I didn’t have one to try.

Hi

Glad you got it sorted.
However I seem to be having almost similar problems.
What was the virus and what detected it?

Cheers

[QUOTE=Gee;429826]Hi

Glad you got it sorted.
However I seem to be having almost similar problems.
What was the virus and what detected it?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

The virus was Virtumonde or something like that. The only thing would find it was Spybot but it would lock up windows when I tried to remove it.

I had that in the past and the proggy that removed it without a hitch was PC Tools Spyware Doctor. Something to note for the future.