3.2 Ghz P4C - almost breaking the 1 hour / WU barrier

Have just been reading a little about Intel’s current fastest here at a site I don’t visit often.

The page I’ve linked to has the SETI benchmark.

1 hour 22 minutes for a WU !

That’s approximately 17.5 WUs per day from a single CPU.

This means that if you run the box 24/7 you could hit 1,000 WUs in ~ 57 days (less than two months!).

I can’t wait for the 24 WUs / day CPU (the 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz might do it, or maybe more like 4.5Ghz… maybe?)

wat better inspiration do you need to do some overtime or get an extra job;)

That applies to everyone, not just me :smiley:

Judging by the stats we are not likely to overtake anyone in the next year. We need to do something about this.

So, who is due to be buying a new PC soon ? :crash:
(and of course you should keep your old one too :wink: )

Originally posted by metz2000
I can’t wait for the 24 WUs / day CPU (the 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz might do it, or maybe more like 4.5Ghz… maybe?)

Opteron 1.8GHz ~ 1 h 6 min from what I remember. So only 10% overclock will get you there.

From what I understand of Tom’s ‘benchmarking’ process, he actaully takes the total time taken for x units to run on an SMP capable system (where x is the number of CPU’s [virtual or real]) and then divides by x to get a (misleading) result.

So for that P4 system, it actually took 2h44m to run the benchmark, but actually knocked out 2 of them in that time…

Originally posted by Mulda
So for that P4 system, it actually took 2h44m to run the benchmark, but actually knocked out 2 of them in that time…

That’s good enough, it’s equivalent to 1 WU every 1 hr 22 min from a single CPU. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by metz2000
That’s good enough, it’s equivalent to 1 WU every 1 hr 22 min from a single CPU. :slight_smile:

“Equivalent to” being the important phrase :slight_smile:

Umm, a drag ass 3gig p4 takes a bit inder 3 hours for a woot, and even my ropey old slow 2gig amd does it in a fart over 3 hrs … intel playing catchup then … nothing we didn’t know already :wink:

SB

ps If we apply “toms maths” to this, the dual opteron rigs will be knocking them out in 33minutes then … Let’s see a p4 beat that :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Stevieboy
[B]Umm, a drag ass 3gig p4 takes a bit inder 3 hours for a woot, and even my ropey old slow 2gig amd does it in a fart over 3 hrs … intel playing catchup then … nothing we didn’t know already :wink:

SB

ps If we apply “toms maths” to this, the dual opteron rigs will be knocking them out in 33minutes then … Let’s see a p4 beat that :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

Anybody going to price one of these up for the Bang-per-buck thread ? http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15271

I only get nine per day out of a P4 2.67Ghz, 533Mhz bus, 512 Mb PC3300 Intel 845 motherboard, WinXP Pro. Am I doing something wrong?

Originally posted by richardlellisjr
I only get nine per day out of a P4 2.67Ghz, 533Mhz bus, 512 Mb PC3300 Intel 845 motherboard, WinXP Pro. Am I doing something wrong?

no, don’t worry the only reason the 3.2 does 16ish WPD is because it uses hyperthreading to run two CLIs at the same time thus it does a work unit every 2hr40min but in this time it has run two clients and so produced 2 results.

this hyperthreading stuff seems to be good for WU production :slight_smile:

Originally posted by lab_boy
this hyperthreading stuff seems to be good for WU production :slight_smile:

I think either Prescott or Tejas are going to step up the HT thing even more, possibly 4 threads instead of 2, just think what that will do for WU processing :slight_smile:

I guess I will wait a bit before building another rig for SETI. The P4 2.67 I only built two months ago. I have a place for one more and will see what hyperthreading models come out later this year.

Originally posted by lab_boy
[B]no, don’t worry the only reason the 3.2 does 16ish WPD is because it uses hyperthreading to run two CLIs at the same time thus it does a work unit every 2hr40min but in this time it has run two clients and so produced 2 results.

this hyperthreading stuff seems to be good for WU production :slight_smile: [/B]

Hmmm, 2 clients?

I’m running a P4 3.0Ghz ‘C’ with HT and at the moment it takes me +/- 2h26m per woo, single client divided over the ‘2’ cpu’s
I use Seti@Home as a service with cli 3.08 (click on my homepage to see current progress :cool: )