9 active crunchers

weeps a little tear looking at the stats for Folding.

As a team are we starting to go Boinc only ?

DT.

Kept getting issues with it, so gave up AGAIN!! and went back to BOINC

My old binlala account does some now and again… from my PS3. Other than that I really dont bother with it… I don’t mind a little bit of skynet but other than that I am mostly Boinc.

I don’t like spreading myself to thin with projects atleast with Boinc you can have the combined stats rather than checking 14different websites to see how it’s all going… :slight_smile:

this article is well written and kind of explains the shortcomings of the project, a third party has wrote the installer app !!!

http://fahtracker.com/index.html

This sort of thing should be done by the project - easier to install and manage means more computational cycles, yet it still doesn’t seem to have kicked in with Stanford that is how it works.

DT.

The tracker looks like a really good addition, but as you said should be the basic installer anyway. Do you still have to use cmd line installer for FAH? I remember a gui that was rubbish and horrible to use.

I’ve been thinking about TheSkyNet and wondering if I will continue to crunch it, after this easter break ill be knocked back down to 1/2 crunchers part time when I remember to launch it from the website other than that I think ill be going back to 100% Docking with odd now and a again PS3 crunching FAH. Has there ever been any talk from the Stanford about making a BOINC folding app?

To be honest the appeal of Folding for me and many others is the need for hands on involvement - I spent many frustrating but ultimately rewarding hours wrestling with an unsupported work around to get the windows GPU client to work under WINE-Linux (there was no Linux GPU client and more than half of my crunchers ran various distros), only to have to redo it a few months later when a new version of CUDA or Linux was released - irritating at times but always engaging - I never got the appeal of gaming, so this was my problem solving brain exercise which always provided me with a sense of achievement.

There was talk a while ago about porting FAH to BOINC, but instead there is a FAH Consortium of labs with common goals.

likewise, I enjoyed setting up the diskless farm for both boinc and folding - now it’s a bit of been there, done that and a bit expensive now to run once the techy bit is done.

Still trying to avoid spending to put in a third 460 to the folding rig :lol:

I think you should make that 10 active crunchers now! I persevered and managed to get a couple of my old GFX 9300GS’s running with the CLI client.

Hope that helps!

Butuz

Turned the PS3 back onto crunching so should have turned active again.

Yeah, sorry guys…our firewall at work nixed the office machines from Folding…means I’d only have one box in the fray. I figured I’d continue to anchor Rosetta for a while instead. Not the biggest farm out there, but certainly helping out our Rosetta efforts.

I recently moved one GPU over to GPUGRID as I hit my 10 M target long ago but still have a few older boxes CPU doing Folding for now and only one GPU. With summer coming that one GPU will be stopped for heat and electric savings for sure and so will some of the other DC’s. It is getting to the point farms for us self employed are just not in the cards any longer. It is what it is and dollars will drive projects like these for sure or lack of!

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;463712]weeps a little tear looking at the stats for Folding.

As a team are we starting to go Boinc only ?

DT.[/QUOTE]

Folding just isnt the same without Curly providing stats.
I never bothered with boinc and dont currently have the energy or time to start it up.

The PS3’s will get stopped this weekend and with that I bid farewell to TPR distributed computing.
Its been fun

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;464037]Folding just isnt the same without Curly providing stats.
I never bothered with boinc and dont currently have the energy or time to start it up.

The PS3’s will get stopped this weekend and with that I bid farewell to TPR distributed computing.
Its been fun[/QUOTE]

It’s sad to see you pulling out of distributed computing, but thanks for all your help :frowning:

I miss the stats thing as well.

:frowning:

BOINC isn’t hard to set up and you can just leave it to run itself.

Thats the thing, its not hard to set up, any fool could do it.
Who would be in the company of fools ?

Well, its more a case of if its that easy to do, where is the challenge.
I can turn on a washing machine with a twist of a dial and a press of a button but I get more enjoyment out of fixing it than using it.

Couple that with the fact that apart from a couple of PS3’s, TFW labs does all it needs to with a pile of old hardware capable of only non GPU processing that could probably be outgunned by a single decent GPU setup.
I have to concede its not worth the electricity to participate in DC with a Medium Array Of Junk Computers any longer.
Slow, expensive and boring?
No thanks

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;464132]Thats the thing, its not hard to set up, any fool could do it.
Who would be in the company of fools ?

Well, its more a case of if its that easy to do, where is the challenge.
I can turn on a washing machine with a twist of a dial and a press of a button but I get more enjoyment out of fixing it than using it.

Couple that with the fact that apart from a couple of PS3’s, TFW labs does all it needs to with a pile of old hardware capable of only non GPU processing that could probably be outgunned by a single decent GPU setup.
I have to concede its not worth the electricity to participate in DC with a Medium Array Of Junk Computers any longer.
Slow, expensive and boring?
No thanks[/QUOTE]

You could try World Community Grid, it’s based on the BOINC but it awards participation in time as much as points.

Hmm… Loaded the GPU3 client on my GTX580. Temps get to 85C in a non-air-conditioned room, but that’s way better than that dual GPU furnace taking things to 105C that fried my previous Mobo while receiving direct A/C air. I’ll let it ride for a while.

Edit: Dang! My signature still works!

P.S. got to edit my Avatar. Those fish died over a year ago.

hey there Fadamor, great to see you and nice temps on the 580, which model do you have?

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;464553]hey there Fadamor, great to see you and nice temps on the 580, which model do you have?

DT.[/QUOTE]
I THINK it’s a PNY, but it might be an EVGA. Been a while since I put it in.

Still, it’s a bit sad to see how few are still folding. I guess BOINC was “sexier”. I’ll stick with Folding. At least I can understand what they’re doing and what they’re hoping to accomplish by doing it. Not saying BOINC is bad, just saying I like Folding (when it isn’t cooking my GPUs).

Currently running a GPU fold and an SMP fold.

Stanford went and consolidated the Windows installer - meaning it’s even EASIER to get up and running than it was before. You can also right-click on the system tray icon and throttle-back as necessary without having to change config files or exit the program. Your throttle choices are Full, Medium, Light, Idle, Idle Light, and Off.

As for users, BigSix and I are the only ones left.