9 active crunchers

@DT, Congrats on passing Mulda! :clap:

thanks, I’m getting closer and closer to putting together a dedicated folder …

A rummage through the idle boxes reveals that the ESX eval period has expired on all but three so only 16 cores are active.
All opteron, one dual quad core in 32G, two dual twin core in 16G.

I dont think it scales well compared to a GPU setup according to the Stats Page

Thats odd, I have gone from a 24 hour average of 1500 to 4200 without adding more cores.
Maybe I’ll revive the other three boxes after all but as dedicated linux hosts.

You probably finally reached 10 WUs since starting up (assuming you set a passkey). Until you’ve turned in 10 successful WU’s under the passkey system, you’ll only get the base credit for each WU submitted. Once you’ve passed 10 WUs, you can have multiple machines running the same passkey and you’ll get the base credit plus the bonus credit (if there is any) for each WU. Apparently they had issues with people crunching using someone else’s ID off the websites, so they added the passkey to ensure only your work gets credited to your account. The bonus varies by project. The current GPU project I’m working on has only the base credit and no bonus. The SMP project I’m working right now has a base credit of only 199 points, but the base plus the bonus is 1695.

You had a 24.2k point Sunday, MrT! Nice. :slight_smile:

couple of days off on the home machine as we mess with moving sockets around - keep having to flick the power off so simpler and safer to leave machine off

See you on the flip side DT :wave:

new cooker and fridge arrives tomorrow, should see the end of messing with the electrics and back to normality of the computer humming in the corner of the dining room

I’m going to have to keep an eye on you lot, a bit under 3 years until I can draw on my state pension to make finances a little more generous. I hope I can hold out until then.

Before the site went down for maintenance, Overclockers was saying I had two-point-something years to catch you at my current rate. :Plot:

I’m a bit annoyed to find that a couple of boxes are not the full Ronseal-deal, it says quad-core on the tin but its got two duals instead.
One box seems to have eaten a memory controller so only five are up,

So when the stats server comes back up, 24 Opteron cores are now chuntering away, thankfully out of earshot.

Intel’s early forays into quad-core CPUs were actually two separate dual core processors on one chip. :nono: They took a bit of flak for the misdirection. :furious:

These are all AMD.
Eight Opteron 2210’s and two Opteron 2376’s.

Now if somebody has a tray of Opteron 2393’s gathering dust I might have a home for a few but not at the £300 each they seem to fetch on Ebay.

Medic !

If you swap the memory does the error follow the DIMM or does it stay with the slot?

The final box is a bitsa this and dollops of that, I should Ideally get a memory kit for it rather than rely the contents of the rainy day box.
As I only needed four ESXi boxes to run a test suite I stripped two of memory and disks to get the others up to spec, one of these didnt like any memory I had.
Giving this wobbly one 16Gb and two reasonable quad-cores should give me an idea of the bang per buck available, maybe I’ll do the others if it looks worthwhile.

Seems I scared DT off, only me and you at the mo.
:karate:

Yeah. He hasn’t been on since he was playing with his electrical wiring. Maybe he fried some equipment?

EDIT: I see he’s back!

came back last night :slight_smile: fired up the machine to play Thief and left it on after :slight_smile:

Mine’s likely to go down in daily average. Just bought Battlefield 3 so I imagine the GPU crunching will be disabled during playtime.