A Happy Birthday to me

Chris (my son) gave me this CJ Auto tilt lift for my birthday and what a bonus for a creaky ageing man.
With 1500kg safe working capacity, it’s probably not up to a 4x4 but we did have Chris’s WV 1.9TD Passat (1550kg) on it later to change his disks.

The lift will go quite a lot higher than shown but I didn’t find the need and it’s also a bit of an effort winding by hand, particularly whilst simultaneously excavating two groves into my (admittedly rather soft & oily) tarmac :chuckle:

Definitely needs some steel strips for the rear wheels to run on and an electric motor arrangement is in design ;).

This second picture shows both wheels off the ground. Once you’ve worked out the balance point it’s great for jobs that need access to over and under, and surprisingly easy to tip the car. The CG of the car being above the pivot, it stays tipped which ever way you put it but also has a locking pin arrangement to hold it.
After a few sorties under the car with sundry added axle props I felt quite comfortable using the ramp without them although I would want additional support before getting angry with a big breaker bar or running the engine. It generally seems to be a pretty substantial bit of kit.

Overall impression 9/10.

Oh the more observant might also notice some rather nice Toyo R888 track day rubber from Fran propped against the rear wheel in pic 1 :slight_smile:

belated Happy Birthday for last week, and that’s a great present - is that an air compressor in the background of the last pic as well? Is the tarmac level enough to buy a couple of paving slabs to use as feet?

DT.