AMD Llano vs Intel Core...

So I think I have pretty much decided to build a new computer… and as such I’ve been looking and looking to find a decent spec PC for what I want…

Only looking to do some photo editing and also ‘light’ Gaming…

Now my budget does sit around the £300-£400 area but for that I do have my heart set on an SSD…

For the price I can manage to get a Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz or I could go down the AMD Llano side and get a AMD 3870k 3Ghz job… But im torn between the two sides…

I currently have an Nvidia 9400 graphics card so not sure whether the AMD Llano GPU would be better than this or not?

I am also building a computer for my GF brother and he needs his for a bit of video editing and some ‘light’ WOW gaming… But as I have explained to him he may have to invest in a better graphics card later on down the line to help with the WOW side of things…

Does anyone have any quick input? If I needed to step up the CPU to what? and how much minimally would I need to go up by? My gf brothers pc has a budget of roughly £300-£350 with a small portion of that saved towards having to buy a keyboard and mouse.

Oh and HDMi would be a real plus… :smiley:

Assuming you have a case, power supply etc etc…

And that is all currently on the friday / sunday offer list.

Any reason for the most expensive motherboard on earth? :lol: otherwise looks pretty decent… I dont have a case or PSU or the SSD… I can sort of stretch the budget but not by loads :slight_smile: Selling some other kit to build up the extra funds :slight_smile:

That PC looks great but I would drop the insanely priced board for something bottom of the range Z77 from Asus like the P8Z77-M

The new Ivy Bridge procs have built-in Intel HD 4000 graphics which is actually pretty decent so no need for another card.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx

What about SCAN’s Today deals? i7 with a motherboard…

Ok,

Already own an SSD HD bought last month :slight_smile:

Looking at buying a pc this Saturday from Novatech in Cardiff… already heading there for a friends PC that I’ve agreed to setup and sort out for them… im just a bit unsure as to what PC I should opt for…

The two options are the i5 k version and the i7 k version…

http://www.novatech.co.uk/barebonebundles/?p=intel

but would I see much difference? or am I better off taking the extra £90 and dropping it on extra Ram? or even a GFX to join in with the GFX crunching fun?

Got a nice replacement Asrock AM2 mobo from the Bristol branch to replace my old Winfast one with the popped caps. Works nice and has a facility to overclock and unlock AMD cores on some model chips. Might be useful later. Still need to play with the settings as the fan seems to be running fast most of the time, although temps are only in the 50s

Im just torn between the i5k and the i7k…

Based off the reviews the i7k is getting 5 stars and the i5k gets 4 stars so Im leaning towards the i7k :slight_smile: it also has the motherboard in the reviews so I know what id be getting :slight_smile:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/barebones/bb-37704d.html

That’s the one im looking at… im thinking of just getting that and then upgrading when I get the money to do so :slight_smile:

Every time I sit down and say right im going to pre-order this now to make sure it will be there on Saturday I get second thought’s and wonder Do I want an i5 or the i7… as much as I would love to have 8 threads running on Boinc can I afford the £80 higher price tag on the i7?

Especially when that could go towards a nice aftermarket heatsink and fan… I’ve also pulled myself away from buying the barebones as I know I would rather 8Gb of ram and also prefer a different case compared to the horrible looking one they supply…

I think I would also prefer to pick my motherboard rather than let them do it… because they are obviously making a profit off that bundle somewhere and im sure it’s the motherboard and ram they are going to skimp on…

Tough choices… I know I can always buy the i5 and then later upgrade to the i7 when they drop in price a little and after I recover from the spend on this…

I also get that im pretty much just typing this so it’s all noted down so I can read it back… :lol:

gaming only = i5

crunching, movie processing = i7

it’s an investment in your joy of computing, personally the £80 extra is well worth it

I have decided to get an i7 and just be done with it :slight_smile: have reserved everything…

The last bit im unsure about is the Cooler… any good ones to look out for?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/cpucoolers/arc-i30.html
or
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/cpucoolers/nh-u12pse2.html

Then i’ll shut up untill I get it all built and crunching :smiley:

Bit expensive but the Noctua is highly recommended on quite a few overclocking forums.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/cpucoolers/rr-b10-212p-gp.html

Has been doing fine work on mine for the past year.

Just upgraded to the following (from Scan!):

1 LN44562
ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0, DP/HDMI, ATX £185.72
2 LN40265
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Racing Red, PC3-14900 (1866), Non-ECC, CAS 9-10-9-27, XMP, 1.5V £48.96
1 LN39230
Sharkoon SATA QuickPort Internal SATA II 3 Gb/s 6xBay 2.5" HDD into single 5.25" Bay £57.58
1 LN39099
128GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD, MLC-Flash, Read 500Mb/s, Write 175Mb/s New Version £88.94
1 LN42833
Intel Core i7 3770K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 8MB Smart Cache, 35x Ratio, 77W,Retail £219.17 £263.00

Shit off a shovel does not even come close to this. The board is fantastic for O/C with presets of 4, 4.2, 4.4, 4.6 and 4.8.
I bumped it to 4.2 for now to check stability but I have heard that the ivy bridge does not like going past 4.7 that easily so going to take it to 4.6 probs and leave it.

:slight_smile:

another +++ for the coolermaster hyper212+

I think I’ve three or four of them now, handles my i7all the way to the joys of 5Ghz when I’m in a mood for loud music and don’t mind the fans :smiley: