America starting to adopt the roundabout on their roads

Here in the UK, we have had roundabouts on our roads for many years now, but America has mostly stuck to traffic lights on it’s road junctions.

Now there is a growing trend in adopting them instead of traffic lights, as they save money on maintenance, are the cause of less accidents etc.

Full story from the BBC here :slight_smile:

I like my straight line intersections! LOL!

I’m surprised to hear they cause less accidents. I would have figured the opposite to be true.

Shame the growing trend now in the UK is putting traffic lights at roundabouts lol :newmon:

They have really messed up the traffic flow on one about 15miles from me that links in with the M6 - used to be stright down around and off, now its down - stop - wait - move a segment - stop - wait - move a segment - stop - wait - take junction. :sigh:

Does it come down to size? Smaller ones are very simple. Only when you get to bigger ones with multiple lanes can near misses happen as people don’t often get in the right lane at the right time and don’t always take appropriate care when moving over. Bigger ones are also more likely to attract lights.

I’m always surprised how most people cope with the Magic Roundabout near you Mackerel. Everyone seems to get around OK. We have a 4 way junction at the end of our road and many years ago, the council decided to take out the traffic lights and put in a double roundabout. Why? :confused: Caused no end of trouble and people still don’t know how to negotiate it.

The trick for me is not to think of multiple roundabouts as a collection, but just concentrate on them one at a time. The same traffic rules apply. It is only scary if you think too hard.

I can sort of understand the traffic lights on major roundabouts like Kegworth (East Midlands Airport ) one J24 M1.

Does help the flow and gives traffic the ability to join easy rather than predict what the cars are doing (e.g. those turning off but never indicating) could have given a chance to join instead of waiting for next opportunity.

In terms of multiple lanes, it certainly does not help that, people still find themselves in the wrong lane than cut lanes… still as dangerous and you still get people realising wrong junction then doing a sudden direction change to a cut up and near accident situation.

I love a nice large roundabout that’s visible from a reasonable distance, means I can pick the racing line :wink: :lol:

It’s been a while since I drove around central London in the rush hour - I wonder what our American cousins would make of Hyde Park corner or Elephant and Castle in full flow - both locations best negotiated with a Banzai attitude and a company car.

This is how some people attack the double roundabout:

green is close, but if it’s only a mini, aka speedbump, that’s not my line I’d take :wink:

They are only minis, but people still get confused. I can see some of them waiting, wondering what to do and in the end I just barge my way through whilst they’re still thinking about it. There used to be traffic queues when the traffic lights were there, but less than now with the roundabouts. One big roundabout would have sufficed, but hey what do I know :rolleyes: :smiley:

Hyde Park Corner is easy… and I’ve even done it with a coach… You want to try driving in Bangkok!!! Now that is Banzai stuff… made even worse by the hundreds of motorbikes that try to squeeze past!!!

Good lord… I just looked up “double roundabout” to see what you guys were talking about. How do you avoid the head-on collisions? I found a video of how to navigate a double roundabout (HERE), and two things became fairly obvious: 1) if you don’t know where you are going to start with you are screwed, and 2) navigation is best attempted when traffic is non-existent, such as in the video. I wouldn’t want to try that in rush hour.

It depends how confident a driver you are mainly. You have to keep your wits about you though, as you sometimes get someone who feels the only way is to suddenly rev off from their junction and can T bone you quite easily.

I seem to have acquired something like “The Force” when it comes to these roundabouts :smiley:

[QUOTE=PMM;460886]Shame the growing trend now in the UK is putting traffic lights at roundabouts lol :newmon:

They have really messed up the traffic flow on one about 15miles from me that links in with the M6 - used to be stright down around and off, now its down - stop - wait - move a segment - stop - wait - move a segment - stop - wait - take junction. :sigh:[/QUOTE]

Nail - Hammer - Hit :frowning:

I’m an excellent driver. It’s everyone else I’m worried about. There are simply too many people who don’t take driving seriously. I’ve witnessed people reading the paper while doing 70+ on a crowded freeway. I’ve had people pull out in front of me while I’m on my motorcycle. I’m not at all confident the skills of the general public are sufficient to not wreak on one of these.