An idea

I was just thinking that TPR’s site could use a chat room of some kind… for those who want to chat in real-time. Somthing web-based rather than IRC. I would use it for sure. It could be attached via the forums or the teamphoenixrising.net webpage.

your thoughts?

We do have the web based irc client curtesy of Damski :slight_smile:

fenix25, a decision was made a long time ago that to have an IRC channel directly associated with the forums would not be a good idea, in that someone within the team would have to be liable, responsible for all that is said within the room. So, what we have is a group of like minded individuals, who use an openly public server to talk about whatever they want, like on these forums, we are all equal so there is no big boss.

I investigated using a web based front end to access the room, but found them all clunky, so I have set up a java front end that anyone can access from my pages (see sig)

Please feel free to join us, the more the merrier

i’m not sure I understand

“in that someone within the team would have to be liable, responsible for all that is said within the room.”

I wasn’t aware of the current setup. Thanks!

If the room we use, was directly associated with TPR, i.e. accessible from the TPR domain name, (i.e. www.teamphoenixrising.net/irc )then the owner of the TPR name becomes responsible for whatever is said there.

In the case of the forums, that control is handed down to the moderators.

In the case of a chat room it would mean having someone in there 24/7 reading what’s being typed and ensuring things don’t get out of hand.

You can appreciate this just isn’t possible. So we distance it, just by one hop mind, therefore removing any direct responsibility from TPR.

I hope this makes more sense, than my ramblings before.

And please do come join us at www.plevin.net/jIRC

Ok. I understand now what you meant. But what are are you worried about being said? There are bot scripts that can monitor what is being said and kick/ban users/ips that violate whatever rules are established. We could also establish hours that the chatroom would be open.

You could also restrict access via logins so that only TPR members (trusted of course) could access the chatroom at any given time, so that its not public, but rather a private chatroom for us

BTW… from the chatroom link you supplied, it said could not connect. :frowning:

The Java client sometimes has problems connecting from secured networks, all depends how well its been secured but if you can’t get in with the Java version you probably cant connect with IRC either.

Mirc takes longer to download that it does to setup, trillian is not far behind it in terms of setup time.

What you might find though is not a lot of overlap in your timezone with many of us that use IRC but give it a go if you like.

PM me if you get stuck and I’ll sign you into the IRC club section :wink:

I have not been in the chatrooms for a very long time, but certainly when they were first set up it was an avenue for some of the ‘more exuberant’ characters to say what they wanted without necessarily having to watch their language etc.

One of the reasons for distancing it from the team was to ensure that people could not ‘blame’ TPR for anything that was done or said in the chat room.

Ultimately DT and the rest of us Admins could be held legally liable for anything said on these forums. To associate the chat rooms to TPR could extend that liability and, bluntly, was not a risk I for one was prepared to take :frowning:

@Damski - unfortunately the Java client does not seem to work from my companies’ network. Darn those security bods who seem to have sewn up the firewalls pretty tight.

It became an issue from day 1 of TPR’s Creation

We had quite a interesting start to life :wink: with much said on the
forums and certain things said ended up resulting in near legal action
taken by another forum owner and the domain owner had to action and
take care of the offening posts or legal action would have been taken.

All forums have an obligation in essance to make sure posts can never be slanderious or condone certain actions that could lead to legallity issues esp. being a family based forum of all ages.

TBH there is no real policing on the Internet but all it requires is one person to muck it up for everyone.

IC… well it was a thought at least :wink:

Still can’t connect to the IRC thing :frowning:

I’ve just tried and it’s not connecting for me either.

Shes right.
Damski, your Java App has switched to De-caff

yes your right it wasn’t working (spot past tense) I’ve corrected the IRC server name and it all looks to be good.

Ah… I got it to work finally!

Thanks!