Anyone know their plumbing?

Short version: I got a used fish tank which is 'kin huge, including an overflow into sump. There is a hole drilled in the base of the tank. A tank connector I believe they’re called was fitted as supplied, but when I leak tested it, it leaked. Seller also gave me a new one. So after much pain, got the old one out, in with the new. Leaked even faster. I believe it is coming from between connector and tank, not between connector and pipe.

Spoke to guy at work, he said if the tank connector moves at all, it’s too small. Might get away with it if I perfectly fit it centrally. The one I had in pic above was apparently a standard plumbing size. After much searching, I found a similar part for aquarium use that sounded closer. Ordered it (£1.49) and arrived today. It doesn’t fit. Bit too big. I don’t think there’s an exact size for the hole in my tank.

Not sure what to do next. It has been suggested I bin the rubber seal and instead use a ton of silicone sealant.

My father in-law was a plumber and looked over my shoulder whilst I was re plumbing my bathroom including a new cistern, I can remember him saying " washer inside the tank and don’t twist or do it up too tight because you will distort the seal, just hand tight plus one flat. let the weight of the water do the rest"

I ran washer outside as that’s how the old one was fitted. Due to not being able to reach inside with any tool, it was only hand tight. And I don’t exactly have strong hands. Also the pipes are different sizes so if I did invert it again, I’d need to make a new set.

Oh, if he does bathrooms, send him down here! Getting pissed off with one I had picked, not cheap but thought he would be less hassle. Not working out that way so debating if I really do want to give him a ton of cash after all or start looking all over again.

OK If you have the connector oriented like the photo with the fish you have got the connector upside down , the nut goes outside / underneath the tank , the sleeve with the lip and washer go inside the tank, the nut should not touch the washer and don’t twist the sleeve to tighten as this will compromise the seal, checkout any toilet cistern as a comparison. Unfortunately my father in law died died 3 years ago aged 86.

The main reason I had it this way is that’s the way the existing part was fitted, and the external tubes can’t be swapped around due to asymmetric fittings. I guess I will try it the way you describe it, and get/make a new pipe set since they’re not expensive anyway. As said, guy at work suggested if the fitting is small, it is best to get it absolute centre. So I will also be looking for a way to centralise it when fitting (some kind of spacer) and that may even the load on the washer.

I did change the fitting on a toilet years ago, but I can’t remember how I did that. Didn’t leak though! Unlike the fill valve, but that’s another story…

From my (limited) experience Mortlake is right. The nut should go on the outside and the flange with the rubber seal on the inside. That’s how I’ve always fitted them including taps on my water barrels in the garden and toilet cistern overflow pipes. The water pressure forces the seal down so, yes, you don’t have to over-tighten it or it will distort the seal

Ok, I’ll try the seal the other way up.

(seal photo I took at Donna Nook before the recent flooding)

Awww! Nice photo, but silly :smiley:

Used some masking tape to pad out the fitting and make sure it is centred, and fitted the connector, seal inside. Happy to say it seems to be holding, even with finger tight doing up since I don’t have space to get a tool in. Also got new pipes to remake the bits inside and out. Unfortunately the pipe to sump wasn’t water tight, and to save a long story I flooded my front room in testing. That’s been cleaned out for now, and I went out and got a replacement seal. Not fitted it yet. Also I hate plumbing sizes, as they make no sense. It seems to me that 32/34/36mm, 1.25" are all interchangeable, but I’m not 100% confident in that.

You need to use some proper sealant also. My Plumber said using silicone will work but make sure it is 100% dry before using it (about 1 hour). I hate plumbing anything I guess that is why I have him ta do it for me!

That part is done and dusted now. I’m sorting out the sump and with a following wind might get the tank running this weekend.