Avast 5

Back in the day i got the idea of avast from some people here saying it was good, And indeed it was but now theres the new Ver5. personaly i really like it. No more 2 icons at the taskbar, just 1 now and the actully interface is easy to use instead of a CD-player like effect on the old ver4.8

What do you guys think?

only upgraded to v5 last night, seems OK, not played with it much… to be honest I like my AV to be install and forget as long as it does it’s job and updates it’s definitions regularly.

Curly

Not seen how it updates yet but i didnt like the last ver updater, A blue screen with a guy saying download was done, It was annoying

it’s the same but in the new scheme colours.

Curly

P.S you can turn the voice off

I turned the sounds off very quickly! I also selected to merge the I icon with the main icon.

Not updated as right clicking and selecting Program update says I have the lastest version (4.8)

[QUOTE=drezha;449796]I turned the sounds off very quickly! I also selected to merge the I icon with the main icon.

Not updated as right clicking and selecting Program update says I have the lastest version (4.8)[/QUOTE]go to the site and latest version is V5, download
and install over the top of 4.8, reboot…simples

Curly

I dropped Avast pretty quick when Microsoft Security Essentials was released… seems to do the job much better and also covers spyware… Also free :slight_smile:

same here, all new machines have had security essentials on them, all work machines continue with avast as we have brought the licences and security essentials isn’t a commercial licence :frowning: They flog you forefront for that.

DT.

I do run the Windows defender proggie, is that part of MS security essentials? I keep hearing good things about MS security essentials so I might give it a go sometime.

Curly

[QUOTE=Curly99;449804]I do run the Windows defender proggie, is that part of MS security essentials? I keep hearing good things about MS security essentials so I might give it a go sometime.

Curly[/QUOTE]

Defender was the original proggy released that I believe has been incorporated into MSE. When you install MSE it disables defender.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Saves searching :slight_smile:

I’d worry about this if I was someone like AVG or Avast. Giving away a free AV product. Not like MS is it. Remember the fun when they gave away IE with Windows. Smells a bit like that to me. Don’t want to put all my eggs in MSs basket. Quite happy with PCTools Malwarebytes and AVG thank you very much and with MSs past history of bugs and patches I don’t want to depend on it.

Id usually agree about the putting all the eggs in the big MS basket… but given the reviews and own experiences… id say MSE is much better than most AV’s including paid ones too…

My usual test is if it survives on my Sister’s laptop for longer than a week without me having to rebuild means its a winner in my book :slight_smile:

I still use Malwarebytes with a quick scan whenever I remember… but other than that MSE covers it all :slight_smile:

I installed the microsoft essentials and did everything required to install properly. It completely locked up my system after reboot. Tried starting several times to get it to start nada.:whiteflag: Started the system in safe mode, went to add/remove program to get rid of the program. Windows then tells me that it can’t be removed in safe mode.:furious: Finally after 2 1/2 hours booted up enough so could remove. I have win7 home premium. I may have the OS but, will never use their " security" programs again.:frowning:

I use Avast 5 (before the mishap) and now no more lock ups the program seems neat and the controls work well. Will use zone alarm for my firewall.

So ends my rant.

I don’t use a firewall as I’ve found them more hassle than they are worth and I rely on my router firewall - maybe it’s time I adjusted my perceptions and went back to one - however I dislike Zonealarm and others seemed a bit cumbersome.

I’ve used AVG along side ZoneAlarm for years with out a single issue…recently I’ve started using Comodo’s freeby suite …it’s a nag …but effective; and I feel secure!

I still use Defender

Upgraded and had to stop it moaning at my SSL connections to Gooogle for my mail :rolleyes: