AVI movie not playing in Firefox & no plug-in found

As above, running a simple HTML page with an embedded .avi movie in it brings up the missing plug-in dialogue, but when I click Install plug-in, none can be found. Anyone have a solution to this please ? It works fine in IE

tools, options, content tab, file types -> manage

just get rid of whatever it has for avi, and set it to save, or open with (vlc, wmp, whatever) :slight_smile:

There is no avi option in the listing. Anyt other suggestions?

Just tried this and it works (I did it with Firefox closed):
Open %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\pluginreg.dat in notepad/wordpad
Find the line Microsoft® Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin|$
Increment the number in the following line by one.
Add a line at the end of this section with the next sequential number. Mine is 10|video/x-msvideo||avi,*|$

Tried that but it didn’t work. Added avi to the Quicktime settings further down in section 8 and it runs in a quicktime window instead. Thanks for the pointer Kevin. I’ll play with it again later on and see if I can get your way to work.

Can you play the AVI in Media Player?

Works OK in Media Player

Darned things gone off again. Tried uninstalling & reinstalling Firefox and deleting the .dat file & remodifying it after reinstalling, still no good. I reckon my copy of Firefox has been corrupted. Only installed the latest update yesterday and have had issues with it since. :frowning:

cough IE cough

Yeah, yeah I know. I’ve got IE 7 and yes it works in there, but I like things to just work and this is irritating me. My bad for being a Virgo :smiley: