Been away - (Picture heavy)

… well still am for the next few days but the actual course has finished - time now to relax a bit.
Been on an underwater photography workshop with Dr Alex Mustard http://www.amustard.com/Web_galleries/port09_gal/ , focussing on managing foreground and background light. Certainly learned a lot but the trick is putting it all into practice. Anyway, here’s a few from the week.

WoW!
Some impressive photos there.

I do like this one.
A shark with a flip-tone paint job

wow, and just like TF, the two tone shark really caught my eye - that’s desktop background worthy :smiley:

DT.

Fantastic pics Balrog :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;449067]WoW!
A shark with a flip-tone paint job[/QUOTE]

:chuckle: Busted.

Most of the shots are pretty much as they came out of the camera. This fellow was a touch further away than I could fully light with my strobes so it took on the blue colour. Its not that common to get a reef shark full frame, off the bottom and viewing up to the surface.
A little split tone colour balancing in Lightroom gave the effect I posted. Without totally cheating and resorting to Photochopping I couldn’t get the magenta out of the belly.

This is what it looked like out of the box and uncropped.

Focal length 27mm. 1/125 @ f8. ISO 200. 2 x 160 Joule strobes @ full power. Depth 19m. Tokina 11-16 @16mm (DX sensor)

Excellent shots there Mr B. :thumbsup:

I think its perfectly acceptable to use a little cropping on the photo when the other option is to swim up to a big thing with lots of teeth and annoy it with a flash gun :nono:

Well we’re off again this Saturday to the Red Sea for another week behind the cameras.

Let’s see if I have improved at all.

enjoy, and I do find it midly amusing that you are off on hols when the weather in the UK is starting to actually be summer like :smiley:

DT.

I think its perfectly acceptable to use a little cropping on the photo when the other option is to swim up to a big thing with lots of teeth and annoy it with a flash gun

Possibly why Janet Street-Porter has never had paparazzi problems?

impressive :thumbsup:

Not as toothy as the shark, and maybe posed? but I love this pic, the colours of the shell against the predominant blue colour and the composition are both bob on :thumbsup:

Not posed - well not by me anyway but there was another guy furtling around in that general area before I came across it so maybe he turned it over.

[QUOTE=The Balrog;454013]Well we’re off again this Saturday to the Red Sea for another week behind the cameras.

Let’s see if I have improved at all.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t get into the red sea trip, technique was fine but composition was all off, so none that I’m really pleased with. I did learn how to capture light rays but the truthful answer to the above question is no :(.

Anyway here’s a few photos from the trip and some of a rather interesting wreck - the Thistlegorm sunk during WWII carrying supplies to Monty

Totally envious and impressed.
Very well done truly, easily rivals many I have seen by high priced photographers.
My favorite is a tie between the “sm angle”, “reef 1” and “shell.”
The sharks are wonderful! Yet those three are art… picture perfect in my books.
So you taking me next time.