Bulldozer review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested

Just going through it slowly now… with my crunching hat firmly on, it doesn’t sound very appealing so far. At the same clock, you get worse FPU performance than an X6, and single thread efficiency is lower than before too. Supposedly optimised for multi-threaded workload, that’s less common in crunching… I guess integer crunching apps might see a benefit from the number of possible cores.

Still reading through so there might be more interesting stuff to come!

I’ve been reading a lot on these today, they in theory should be beasts on folding@home cpu cores, as I think that is a pure mutlithreaded app.

The 2500k still seems to be the best bang for buck, but I am liking the phenom2 price drops though

Very dissapointed myself :frowning:

Butuz

Just went through Xbit’s review also. They were even harsher, comparing it at one point the dual integer core bulldozer module to a Core with HT on. I guess it is marketing semantics at the end of the day. Is it an overgrown quad or a castrated 8 core? Either way it seems like for most people you might as well get an i5-2500 as the Bulldozer “wins” are few and far between, although eventual street pricing might sway that.

I would like to try an FX8150 but I am genuinely woried that it would be slower than the X6 1100T particularly overclocked.

Me 1100T is a right goer. Its like a CPU slut!

I only built it at 6pm today and its only running on a £70 mobo with £25 RAM but check this:

RockinDockin@home!

Butuz

Nice, I wonder if I still have my notes somewhere for comparison… currently my X6 is running 3.5 GHz at 1.25V for better power usage, as beyond that point it started needed more voltage. There it is, 1.35V only got me to 3.9 GHz. Excellent in its day although now a little overshadowed now by the sandy bridge CPUs.

An interesting comment given generally was the Bulldozer may be more optimised for server workloads hence the integer/threads optimisation. As far as a lot of crunching is concerned, it might be closer to consider the “8 core” as an extended 4 core kinda like Intel’s hyper-threading. I think for me, I’d have taken 2 floating point units per integer unit! But my thought is they might be trying to push that to GPU as they get more integrated. But the GPU is no FPU replacement still.

[QUOTE=Butuz;462454]I would like to try an FX8150 but I am genuinely woried that it would be slower than the X6 1100T particularly overclocked.

I only built it at 6pm today and its only running on a £70 mobo with £25 RAM but check this:

RockinDockin@home!

Butuz[/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic, but nice CPU temperature! What are you cooling that bad boy with?

[QUOTE=Butuz;462454]I would like to try an FX8150 but I am genuinely woried that it would be slower than the X6 1100T particularly overclocked.

RockinDockin@home!

Butuz[/QUOTE]

Those Black Editions are definitely sluts…

My 955BE was running @ 4.2 on a £50 motherboard with cheapo ram…

I’m going to wait a few months before taking the bulldozer plunge… I’ll probably upgrade my 955BE system to AM3+ mobo first…