Can Einstein@Home pass the 1 Petaflop (1000 Teraflop) barrier?

The computing power of Einstein@Home has exceeded 950 Teraflops for the first time since the project was begun in 2005. Based on the rate that our computing power has been growing, I am hopeful that Einstein@Home will pass the 1 Petaflop barrier before the end of 2012. Einstein@Home volunteers: please keep your computers running over the holiday season, and please sign up any new ones that you might receive as a gift! Bruce Allen Director, Einstein@Home

More…

Was anyone thinking of jumping on this bandwagon through 1-Jan ?

I wasn’t but it’s cold in here so I’ve just booted the i7+GTX680 combo and set to allow Einstein work to warm my feet :smiley:

I’ll join you. I was burning in my new Windows 7 box with Docking, but Einstein works just as well for a couple of weeks.

I’ve decided to let my new video card do some crunching for GpuGrid in 2013.

In preparation, I’ve told my BOINC client not to download any additional work units from Einstein. I’ll “switch over” when my queue is empty.

[QUOTE=Tom Wilson;465316]I’ve decided to let my new video card do some crunching for GpuGrid in 2013.

In preparation, I’ve told my BOINC client not to download any additional work units from Einstein. I’ll “switch over” when my queue is empty.[/QUOTE]

I guess you are talking about your GT620. I would suggest you avoid the “Long run tasks” and stick with “ACEMD standard” tasks… you can select task types in the GPUGRID preference page.

Thanks for sharing. The first task that was downloaded from the project was one of the long ones. With my NVIDIA card, the estimated completion time was 163 hours. I had to abort it, change my preferences, and get a new one.

Now I know how (relatively) underpowered my GT620 is. …Well, what do you expect from the stock video card from Dell.

I got a standard task, and its estimated completion time is 22 hours. --More in my range. We’ll see what the numbers look like manana.

[QUOTE=Tom Wilson;465321]Thanks for sharing. The first task that was downloaded from the project was one of the long ones. With my NVIDIA card, the estimated completion time was 163 hours. I had to abort it, change my preferences, and get a new one.

Now I know how (relatively) underpowered my GT620 is. …Well, what do you expect from the stock video card from Dell.

I got a standard task, and its estimated completion time is 22 hours. --More in my range. We’ll see what the numbers look like manana.[/QUOTE]

If you can complete and return that the WU within 24 hours you should get full bonus. Another bit of advice is to set your cache as low as possible so you download a new WU just as your finishing the current one.

Thanks for the cache tip. I didn’t know about the 24-hour bonus. I need to do some more reading at the GPUGRID site.