Car insurance claims

Just wondered what’s people experiences in ref to the below…

Basically I have recieved this weekend a demand for money off my car insurance supplier (Norwich union) for what appears to be the fact my accident in 2005 effectively changing my no claims from that exact point in time.

Therefore it appears they are trying to charge me the difference of half a year at a changed rate between the accident and the car insurance renewel.

Prob is it does not follow in the foot steps of my previous car insurance supplier where no additional payment was requested.

Has anyone experienced this before ?

If this is common practice surely that also means that my whole policy should be reset to renew at the same time as the accident not half a year later.

Seems bizzare, I feel they are trying something on TBH, uncertain until I dig all my documents out but would like your input.

/Many thx PMM aka (Mr jinxed) :frowning:

Can’t answer the question - but given the service I’m getting from my insurers after our little incident a few weeks back, I’ll be watching the answers very carefully :frowning:

I also have no experience (and always protect my no claims), but I think you’re right and need to check your small print very closely.

Because the insurance industry has been eaten into by the parasitic “where there’s blame there’s a claim” brigade and this is probably the latest reaction to it. NU are the biggest insurance company and as such dictate the way the industry moves so your outcome more than likely affects us all :frowning:

I have never had this before - usually it has meant a more expensive renewal but never an ‘in’flight’ change of terms.

Basically (as far as I can see) you took a contract with them by which they agreed to insure you for a term of 12 months at a price based on their assessment of risk at the start of that term. The fact that the risk changed during that term was part of the risk they took in under-writing that policy.

[QUOTE=Alta Rica;362342]I have never had this before - usually it has meant a more expensive renewal but never an ‘in’flight’ change of terms.

Basically (as far as I can see) you took a contract with them by which they agreed to insure you for a term of 12 months at a price based on their assessment of risk at the start of that term. The fact that the risk changed during that term was part of the risk they took in under-writing that policy.[/QUOTE]

What he said. They formed a contract with you by accepting payment at a price they quoted, it would be unfair of them to have the right to change that contract without prior notification. Probably a good bet would be to contact the Insurance Ombudsman

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html#1

and have a quick chat with them over the phone to see what they think.

Sorted :slight_smile: there mistake in relation to something else and poor record keeping on there side.

Tis was a stuggle though, again call center in Bangalore :rolleyes: waste of space 45to60 mins on the phone at work to get nowhere.

Went via the complaints dept as I had done previously, and then got it resolved very quickly nice speaking english lady had a brain and ability to think unlike certain script following robots with poor english and understanding located where I can’t get my hands around there necks :chuckle:

But all sorted by me sending them by fax a letter sent to me that for some reason they have no record of sending.

Glad you got it sorted out.:slight_smile:

Spoke to my insurer yesterday about getting my new car put on the existing policy before they terminated it. I had some online quotes that were horrendous (an open claim makes for bad news), so I thought better stick with the devil you know…

“No problem sir, your NCD is still protected, Elaine will still be allowed as a named driver and there will be no increase in premium.” :yippee:

£196 fully comp for a new Megane 1.5DCi 86, 20k per annum with all the extras (legal exp, hire car, etc, etc,). :smiley: