Car running costs

I was reading an article on running costs and how to cut them, bit obvious on the advice really.

Drive a different car

The biggest - but arguably most difficult - savings are to be made from switching to a different car. All cars depreciate in value the moment you drive them out of the showroom, but some do so quicker than others.

For example, the AA calculates that a car with an original purchase price (when new) of between £10,000 and £13,000 will lose £1,557 of its value each year, but a car with a list price of more than £30,000 will lose nearly four times this amount at £5,670.

The AA also says that a car purchased new for between £10,000 and £13,000 will cost 17.28p a mile to run, while a car worth more than £30,000 will cost 28.50p a mile to run - 65% more. Standing charges such as road tax, insurance and the cost of getting a car loan will also be higher for more expensive cars.

No shit, Sherlock! :o

I think depreciation on a standard car is more like £3000 to £3500 in year 1 then 2K to 1.5 K there on after.

Car’s are worth bugger all these day’s in 2nd hand prices & £4000 will get you a very decent motor 2/3 years old at todays prices.

I lost 50% of the cost of a new Astra SRi in 2 years , 8k in 2 years