Checking SSD

How can I check an SSD to see if it has faults? Using the normal programs? (which I’m not sure which they are!)

I ask because the other day my SSD didn’t appear in BIOS so I was unable to boot into Windows (though linux on the standard hard drive was fine) - a few reboots and then it booted fine into Windows. From there on in, I’ve had nothing but hassle from Windows - this morning, I tried to open Chrome and was told a file or files were corrupt and couldn’t open. I then booted into linux (and it took Windows about 10 or 15 minutes to shutdown - I had a shower and made a cuppa and came back as it was still hsutting down). I was unable to delete the file from Linux and then rebooted into Windows (or at least tried, as it wouldn’t start).

This evening I ran startup recovery and it said master system corrupt or something and couldn’t repair - it then continued to boot into Windows where everything promptly wouldn’t run etc and shutdown was impossible.

Tomorrow, I’ll install Windows again but I want to check the SSD for errors etc - how can I check and see if it’s a duffer? Ideally needs to be done soon as I have a LAN this coming weekend!!

The SSD manufacturer will have a diagnostic tool you can download and run. Any generic software that looks at the SMART report on the disk can also give indication.

OCZ only have firmware updates, guides and release notes on their site :frowning:

Doh! Just find a tool that supports SMART… for example, speedfan can report it, and I’m sure there are many other tools.

I’ll have a look later - it needs a whole new install of windows before I can do anything - however, I’ll have a quick look at SMART data in linux if I can.

download crystaldiskinfo

It passed Smartctl in linux and pased all tests in Windows from hdtune. Reckon it was just a corrupt windows install.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk