Converting avi to DVD

Ho!
I wish to convert .avi files to DVD - is that the same as MPEG2? - and would like to find a free tool to do so.
Any suggestions much appreciated. Level of knowledge :confused: low so please use short words :wink:

:cheers:

I will watch this thread with interest - I invested in a dvd writer just before Christmas and now I want to burn some of my home moviea camcorder stuff onto dvdā€¦ and no, itā€™s not rudey stuff!

Indeed. One of the reasons I justified the new computer was capturing and burning old VHS camcorder footage to DVD. Using Nero to capture directly to DVD format has not given great results. When I capture in uncompressed .avi format the quality is heaps better. I thought perhaps if I captured the footage like that, then converted it using something else I might get better results. Hence my questionā€¦

If it were a digital camcorder it would be much simpler I thinkā€¦

erm ā€¦ not too sure (memory loss due to lack of alcohol thismorning) ā€¦ but I think I used Nero 6 to convert and burn (in the same session) a couple of avi. files to dvd.
Quality remained on par with the avi. and sound was in sync too ā€¦ always a bonus lmao

yo i believe i have a solution
there is a movie maker file that microsoft have brought out that has a ā€œfree TRAILā€ on ares or KAZAA of you download it i believe it also has a conversion tool when saving your home movies or other audio or visual files
if it works notify me

Nero 6 with vision express pluginā€¦works great and is simple to use

Thanks peeps - a few things to play with there. I am also trying Roxio which is like Nero only different - it seems to go better for me so I might stick to that for nowā€¦

I use Nero and Sonic MyDVD. DVD Shrink for Copy of DVDā€™sā€¦Sonic is the industry leaderā€¦they are the guys the movie companies use. The Bit rate on AVI contains far more data then MPEG anything. MPEG4 is out and it is very tight on size valuesā€¦similar to DIVX Codec. I use MPEG 2 on my ATI AIW 7500 and have very little issues with VCR to DVDā€¦The VCR is poor anyway at DATA conversionā€¦not a lot of data 8 Bitā€™sā€¦DVD, Mini DVD or Hi8 format is 16Bit or betterā€¦ok back to coding and making livingā€¦Neal get DVD Shrink 3.2 and Sonic Series 6ā€¦great stuff M8ā€™s

DaViDeo - DivX, MPEG4, lots of CD and DVD formats icl. Max formats

seems hard to find in english :frowning:

[QUOTE=ike;266234]Ho!
I wish to convert .avi files to DVD - is that the same as MPEG2? - and would like to find a free tool to do so.
Any suggestions much appreciated. Level of knowledge :confused: low so please use short words :wink:
:cheers:[/QUOTE]

DVD contains VOB files. VOB files are MPEG2 + other informations in video stream.

Holy thread revival batman.

In fact itā€™s more like grave digging and some black magic to reincarnate.

5 years+

Link spam - in-fact recognise the name iā€™ve banned it elsewhere before.