CSS - Learning Recommendations

After trying to update styles etc throughout my website, I decided it was probably high time to get round to learning CSS.

Is there a book or an online guide that can help me out?

Was gonna go for the Dummies series as I’ve used the Dummies series many times successfully in the past but looking on Amazon, it seems the CSS for Dummies is an awful book that focuses on mainly programming for IE. Considering I use Firefox and most people I know use Firefox, that’s pointless and AFAIK, defeats the point in using CSS, as CSS was designed for cross compatability.

I’ve used the W3C one but it’s a bit confusing…

Would also like some advise on this :smiley:

:trophy:

I’ve not seen one decent article on this tbh, the best thing I think from the start is scrape a couple of sites. My work site www.tricerion.com uses css to do everything, including the menus. Feel free to take a peek :slight_smile:

DT.

a friend adviced me to use this site aswell :

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

thanks for the advice DT :smiley:

I forgot to mention that one, as you can see I like to include links to show that the sites I do validate correctly in html and css. If only all sites did so then a lot of cross-browser errors would not exist :slight_smile:

DT.

[QUOTE=placidsheep;406496]a friend adviced me to use this site aswell :

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

thanks for the advice DT :D[/QUOTE]

Thats the one I mentioned above that I found a little confusing towards the end.

Will have a look at your site then thanks DT

@DT, thats what I’m looking to do, get my site HTML and CSS valid.

Think im going to have a bash at reading through the CSS guides on that website today…

Want to change my webdesign knowledge from basic to advanced…

[QUOTE=placidsheep;406961]Think im going to have a bash at reading through the CSS guides on that website today…

Want to change my webdesign knowledge from basic to advanced…[/QUOTE]

be careful what you describe, in my experience a webdesigner is VERY different from a web developer. Decide which one you want to be, it takes a different logic mind to design a website than it does to make a website ‘work’. A web designer deals with the conceptual, the developer makes the concept a reality. I wouldn’t let most designers I know anywhere near a css file :slight_smile:

I’ve had to rescue many a company who have paid the design company to do both the design and the development. It’s nice work if you can get it because you are repairing other peoples code so nothing is your fault if it can’t be easily done. Design and coding are very different in my experience. I couldn’t put pretty graphics together for toffee, but I can make a website operate if given some design concept graphics and the image source files.

hth

DT.

Ah ok my bad on the termanology I used…
I want to be a Web Developer…working with the code in the background :slight_smile:

I have HTML knowledge just want to keep moving with the times now…

The only website I actually desgin myself is my own website!