D: drive of doom!

Got a really stupid problem. Ever since I built this Vista x64 machine it’s had a mystry CD drive that it’s labelled D:

This has caused me zero problem until now. I have na app (XMBC) that only wants to use the first optical drive it detects and ignores the fact that I have 2 other perfectly working BD and DVD drives so I need to get rid of D:

Trouble is it doesn’t appear in any hardware lists, device manager, etc. It also doesn’t show the normal property tabs so I can’t just change it to z: to get round the problem.

In fact the only place I can find it other than in My Computer is the drives entry in MS info:

but it doesn’t appear in the CD-ROM list:

I’m assuming that a less than perfect bit of software is responsible for it somehow but how can I now get rid of it?

You’ve not got any cd/dvd drive emulation software running have you (such as daemon tools)?

nope - have been using DT (as well as a load of other bits in support of it) but I’ve removed them all :frowning:

Try right-clicking “My Computer” and select “Manage”. A Computer Management window will open.

In the left pane (under Storage) click “Disk Management”. There you will see all of your partitions on all of your disks.

There’s 2 panes on the right side. If you right-click that drive in the upper pane, one of the menu choices is: “Change Drive Letter and Paths”.

That might help you assign a different drive letter (or remove it altogether.

Had this myself after installing Ultra ISO. Look HERE. I would look for some program that has created a virtual drive and disable it.

wild guess but could also be a card reader responsible?

Just because you uninstalled DT did you disable the drive before doing so ?

Im sure I had this problem in the past… and what had happend is I forgot to disable to drive before uninstalling… and well Windows thought the drive was still there…

Yup, that’s happened to me too!

[QUOTE=Tom Wilson;445814]Try right-clicking “My Computer” and select “Manage”. A Computer Management window will open.

In the left pane (under Storage) click “Disk Management”. There you will see all of your partitions on all of your disks.

There’s 2 panes on the right side. If you right-click that drive in the upper pane, one of the menu choices is: “Change Drive Letter and Paths”.

That might help you assign a different drive letter (or remove it altogether.[/QUOTE]

<---- maybe a manager these days but still remember my way round Windows enough for that :wink:

PowerISO would appear to have been the problem :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: glad you got it sorted :slight_smile: