Dell D430 locks up intermittently, but only when undocked from port replicator

I have one of the above that has that intermittent issue.

Tested unit direct from customer, obtained fault twice (rebooted in between). Removed covers and checked RAM. Reseated RAM, checked and reseated other accessible components (WiFi units, etc) and checked connections to hard drive (1.8" 80gb twin platter). Already checked and cleaned out the fan, doesn’t seem to be running too hot. Ran PC Check on the unit, passed motherboard, HD and stress test. Would not complete RAM test (requires proprietary Dell diagnostic software - being obtained).

Tried unit on the docking station and confirmed working OK, tried it on the desk after undocking, worked OK. Tried it with separate mouse and keyboard in case fault in units onboard the laptop, worked OK with and without. Typed gibberish in more than one document just to overtax the CPU, for an hour, all worked OK. Rebooted unit, unit worked for a while, but fell over whilst typing in a Wordpad document whilst still warm from previous test. No pattern to failures, but haven’t got it to fail whilst docked as yet.

Bit of a weird one this. Any ideas? The strange thing is why it works OK in the docking station? Is something, say , on the motherboard by-passed when docked?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

docking station will change the power settings - possibly different to when just on power?

Not sure about that. What failure would that cause though? Graphics chip, CPU? I really don’t know… :confused:

Connected to the Docking station implies that it is connected to the mains via a power supply - when testing undocked is it connected to a power supply ?? if not check out the battery and connections .

sounds disk related, but worth a shot with memtest as well that should save you from waiting for the Dell test stuff.

My work laptop is a D430… so slow… but I do know memtest86+ runs on it so worth a try?

Yep! Unit running from transformer when undocked.

with my dell, the power unit on the docking station is a higher power one than the one used normally.

I know there are two different amperage transformers, so I’ll check it out when I go back. Any other ideas?