Dell to ship with linux

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6506027.stm

:thumbsup: I just hope a few more follow suit :xfinger:

So then comes the choice/discussion over which distro … :chin:

DT.

I think it’s a brilliant move on their part. The more people that have it, the less the need for MS products. As long as it’s packaged with Open Office, I can see a lot of people taking it up as a viable alternative. The next issue has to be ISPs. Big ones like Tiscali, Orange, etc, should have a Linux installation option available.

If you have a hardware firewall I’m guessing 99% of linux distros will work without any fuss.
Where it all falls down is STUPID IPS like, for example, NTL insisting you have to use a setup disk on a Windows PC directly connected to the modem before the connection will work.
I know this is a complete waste of time as I used a windows 98 ghost image on an old PC and ran the install to make broadband work.
Then I re-applied the ghost image to the PC and guess what the connection worked perfectly.
:rolleyes:

What I found impressive was that 70% of the 100,000 polled said they would use Linux. I’m not sure what the distribution of the polled was in regards to IT, business, and home users, but just the idea that 70% would use Linux speaks volumes for Linux having become a viable desktop solution.

This is excellent news indeed! :thumbsup: