Dirty Weekend anyone ?

Anyone fancy a trip to Abingdon 4x4 festival next month ?

2010 - Tickets On Sale
The Abingdon 4x4 Festival is the only event on the 4x4 calendar that’s run by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts and their families, and donates every penny of the profits to charity.

For the 2010 event, we’re going to have:

A bigger arena with a full timetable of events there.
The off-road course, complete with the mud-run to challenge the serious off-roaders, as well as some tamer sections for shinier vehicles.
Entertainment for children off all ages.
Live music and bar on Friday night
Our famous charity auction and disco on Saturday night
Something for all the family from our traders, as well as 4x4 accessories and auto jumble.
Camping and Caravan pitches for those who want to stay for the weekend.

I’ll be going with a Banzai Daihatsu and will be letting my daughter have a go once I have checked all relevant small print.

A previous visit, just in case anyone has forgotten, ended up looking like this, the mud run is of course optional :slight_smile:

Onsite camping is possible but its only about 9 miles from TFW towers and the Bar should be finished by then.

I’ll be there, either as a marshal or as a punter - as a marshal means not taking the kids as they can’t be on the course due to age. Haven’t fully decided yet.

DT.

Am I really going to do this to one of my lovely motors again…you betcha! Well, if I can, will have to check on the Disco’s legality and time, but will let ya know soonest.

pimped my ride today :lol:

Had new drums on there for some time - I now have Ferrari stylie brakes, must mean they stop quicker :cuckoo:

To confirm now, I’ll be there for sure on Saturday PM, SundayAM & PM as those are my marshalling stints :smiley: Saturday AM, that’s play time for Ruby :woot: :driving:

DT.

Well, the wee beastie started on the first turn of the key, so thats all my off-road preparation done.

It starts, what more do you need to do ?

I’ll be there on the Sunday, Mojo Wont due to work, DT probably wont, again because of work.
Work nearly kept me away too but somebody else stepped up when I offered (I had little intention of working but they like to out-do the contractors)

Last event of the day will be the mud run, I have less ground clearance, no snorkel, less than half the power of the previous failed mud-runner and road biased tyres.

What could possibly go wrong ?

Finding that out is half the fun
:smiley:

work stuff = sorted now

Not sure I should bring my man-flu to the “TFWitt Bar”, so I’ll give you a call in the morning :slight_smile: I’ll see if I can find someone else to do the afternoon stint on Sunday to join you playing :slight_smile:

DT.

The “bar” is slightly lacking in several areas, most notably the actual “bar” being absent in its entirety.

I blame the plasterers, with there only being one that turned up and the other one who didnt, having the rest of the plaster.

Builders bring out my Basil Fawlty streak.
No where did I leave my large garden Gnome ?

That was fun!

Wasnt allowed through the mud run though, spoilsports.
Did all but two of the hard bits, including the final muddy stage.
There were a couple with mud on a side slope and it would have just slid off sideways.

Didnt get stuck but had a couple of climbs where traction was an issue.

Back up, gas gas gas, air and over the top.

The marshalling was excellent, apart from one, there is always one.
He made the others look good.

There were a coupl of 2CV’s going round the course, good effort :thumbsup:

Found a link to the 2CV’s, one is apparently 4wd

http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2121&start=20

:lol: brilliant :slight_smile:

So just a few splashes through the pond then, no bonnet covering mud bath? Any pics?

To update everyone, I didn’t make the trip there today, feeling a bit under the weather still with a touch of a cold, and there was a new telly required. Geek p0rn or watching others have fun while feeling like crap. The new telly is very nice :smiley:

DT.

LOL… and embarrassing some proper 4X4s up as well…nice one!!! Always fancied a 2CV… My second car was a GS, nice boxer engine but suffered with crap alternators!

The event photos are online

“Sunday Pond 14:00-close” is where the Sportrak gets wet
TipToeing
abingdon10_3939
abingdon10_3940

Ignoring the not-too-fast advice
Abingdon10_4102

crikey, they pumped some water into the pond for sunday :smiley: It only just covered the base of most tyres on Saturday when I had hte pond marshal spot.

DT.

Well, its mostly hidden by being on Facebook this year but the event has been cancelled and re-scheduled at a nearby bit of land.

I dont have a banzai 4x4 at the moment but am trying to make a case for buying one.

Is anybody else up for a spot of mud ?

I’m at Avon Dasset tomorrow if you want to throw Ruby around a bit :lol:

I’m not too sure on the Abingdon Festival at the moment, lots of work needed to be done to get a course running as good as on the barracks.

DT.

I cant come out to play today.
We have some relatives dropping in for a game of “cuddle baby, oooh she is crying, quick hand her back”

I probably will get to Abingdon, just need to get something unsuitable

I think I have found a Frontera going cheap the buyer collects thing may be a problem though

From the few pictures on Face book (but none on the website) the new venue is a landscaped field.
One good downpour and the whole lot will turn into a mud bath full of stranded vehicles.

Think I’ll give it a miss this year after all, I can sit in a traffic jam any day of the week.

last thing I heard was that the council had donated the use of heavy machinery to get a course made, with the short timescale, even though I know they’re been working on it a lot I suspect the same. hill clibs and the such just won’t be bed in.

cancelled again

2011 Festival Cancelled
I am very sorry to announce that despite the miraculous work that’s been done in the last three weeks, the plans to re-stage the Abingdon 4x4 Festival have failed due to a last minute legal complication, and the festival will NOT be going ahead.
We’d like to thank everyone for their support and wishes.