Docking world postition

I will probably carry on running Docking into next year and then will take a look elsewhere project wise :slight_smile: Maybe scale back my Docking efforts and focus a little more elsewhere… (probably WCG)

I don’t like the lack of updates with Docking, either Science or Project news…

FLAT OUT until then though!!! :smiley:

Yeh I know what you mean RE: lack of updates but to be honest I can’t see a better medical project other than GPU Grid (which cant you CPU on anyway, so may as well carry on with docking!).

Butuz

isn’t POEM pretty much the same as Docking, yet with a GPU client?

No. Poem does not appear to crunch proper medical science any more. Last I read you were using your GPU to crunch for non medical research - i.e research that will be used or a commercial purpose.

Basically nothing on the front page applies any more as far as I can see - it did years ago but not now.

Quote from project guy: “As I said, the current simulations of Pentacene are useful for OLED development. These simulations are almost done now. The Gpucrystal application however was designed for multiple purposes, including biomechanical systems, for example Amyloid Fibrils.
I can’t give you a fixed date for such simulations, as this is a work in progress, but there will be GPU jobs with a medical background in the future.”

That was end of project for me.

Butuz

isn’t POEM ran by a not-for-profit? Same as the Docking project could be considered, ran by a university and the results assist someones phd. At the end of it all, the unfortunate truth is that the research done in medical is always going to end up within a drug company or where someone will profit. Howver, what we assist with is the theory, then there are the millions required to go through clinical trials etc if the knowledge is used towards creating a drug. Common goal is for greater understanding of how these things work and interact.

WCG I like a bit more, as you can really specify the work your machine is doing - but unless there has been a change they have no GPU usage.

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;465174]isn’t POEM ran by a not-for-profit? Same as the Docking project could be considered, ran by a university and the results assist someones phd. At the end of it all, the unfortunate truth is that the research done in medical is always going to end up within a drug company or where someone will profit. Howver, what we assist with is the theory, then there are the millions required to go through clinical trials etc if the knowledge is used towards creating a drug. Common goal is for greater understanding of how these things work and interact.

WCG I like a bit more, as you can really specify the work your machine is doing - but unless there has been a change they have no GPU usage.

DT.[/QUOTE]

You can now run WCG on a GPU, but it is limited to the Help Conquer Cancer WU’s.

[QUOTE=Butuz;465173]No. Poem does not appear to crunch proper medical science any more. Last I read you were using your GPU to crunch for non medical research - i.e research that will be used or a commercial purpose.

Basically nothing on the front page applies any more as far as I can see - it did years ago but not now.

Quote from project guy: “As I said, the current simulations of Pentacene are useful for OLED development. These simulations are almost done now. The Gpucrystal application however was designed for multiple purposes, including biomechanical systems, for example Amyloid Fibrils.
I can’t give you a fixed date for such simulations, as this is a work in progress, but there will be GPU jobs with a medical background in the future.”

That was end of project for me.

Butuz[/QUOTE]

It looks like POEM have stopped distributing GPU units…

Hi everybody,

I have to apologize for the long period of silence regarding this topic, but I didn’t want to give any misleading information before we discussed the problem here.
We are still waiting for our new server hardware, but unfortunately this won’t fix the problem here entirely.

Fact is, these GPU calculations are running so rapid, that we have to evaluate real floods of information. We were talking about possibilities to send out more GPU work units, but at the moment there is no way to process it in time.

I want to thank all of you for spending so much computing time. It’s absolutely okay to give your GPU power to another project now, there may be more use for it at the moment. The crystallization studies will still continue, but the follow-up projects with GPU support are not yet in a state to be sent out over the BOINC network, so the situation is not likely to get better in the near future.

I hope you can understand this, and are still willing to support us.

Best regards
Thomas

This is true, but if the result is a cure for cancer or Alzheimers or whatever, then I can live with that.

Some good’ish news. Put an order in for 11 new servers yesterday. Most single socket quad core although there are a few hex cores. They’ll be in the lab for a week maybe 2 when they arrive so my production should jump a wee bit.

:trophy: you test 'em out me laddo - you test em GOOOD. :smiley:

Butuz

I can’t come close to “grabbing 11 servers” but, I should have a new i7-3770 arriving on 7-Dec. --Its my first major purchase in years.

Nice, those 3770’s are fantastic machines. Just make sure you get a H or Z77 board to make full use of it.

Yeh I just picked up a 3770k and an MSI Z77 M Power - most awesome PC I’ve ever built!!

Z77 board with 2133 RAM and overclock that puppy to 4.4 or more if you can and thats a awesome power cruncher.

Butuz

Thanks for your vote of confidence. Hopefully the motherboard is a winner too. Here’s the parts list…

Quantity Item Number Description
1 225-2645 XPS 8500
1 317-9193 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz
1 317-9211 12GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1600MHZ-2x2GB + 2x4GB
1 331-9341 Dell KB213 Wired Multimedia Keyboard, US-English
1 320-7810 No Monitor
1 320-3037 NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 1GB DDR3
1 421-7190 Dell SRV Software 1703
1 342-4107 2TB SATA 6Gb/s,7200RPM
1 318-1872 XPS 8500, Black Chassis w/19:1 media card reader
1 421-5739 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, English, No Media
1 330-1158 Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
1 430-3628 Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
1 410-0565 No Adobe Reader Selected
1 318-1677 16X DVD+/-RW
1 318-2249 Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
1 313-6138 No Speaker Requested
1 430-4735 Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
1 331-5795 US Power Cord
1 331-9230 English Documentation DAO
1 331-9376 Module,Placemat,8500,Global
1 331-6149 SHIP,XPS,L10,FXCN,8500,DAO
1 410-0569 McAfee 11, 15 Month
1 331-6176 Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
1 421-8242 Additional Software
1 421-7997 No PDVD
1 410-0450 Microsoft Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
1 992-8983 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty, Initial Year
1 992-8633 ProSupport: Next Business Day Parts and Labor Onsite Response Initial Year
1 989-3449 Thank you choosing Dell ProSupport. For tech support, visit http://support.dell.com/ProSupport or call 1-866-516-3115
1 988-7279 No Warranty beyond 1 year
1 992-8843 ProSupport: 7x24 Technical Support, Initial Year
1 421-8295 Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements- Additional software purchase required

…I plan on burning it in with Windows for a month and then reconfigure it to dual-boot with Fedora being the default operating system. We’ll see.

Excellent machine that Tom. :cool:

Nice, odd ram config though.

[QUOTE=Butuz;465195]Yeh I just picked up a 3770k and an MSI Z77 M Power - most awesome PC I’ve ever built!!

Z77 board with 2133 RAM and overclock that puppy to 4.4 or more if you can and thats a awesome power cruncher.

Butuz[/QUOTE]

Z77 rules, I bought the 3770K with Asrock Extreme4-M, 128GB Vertex4 and 3TB drive for my XBMC machine.

Runs like a dream.

Moved my i7 off docking to see the difference i would get in gpugrid, similar rigs are getting a good 200k+ on what i was. I’ll return it in a couple of days probably, but limit it to 50% cpu.

My i5 was running a server 2012 beta, so ive moved that to ubuntu, which should get back to docking sometime tomorrow.