Editing a linux setting file in windows

I’ve got to edit a settings file that resides on my popcorn (which thinks in linux)… I can get to it via a samba share, when I bring it up in notepad the formating is wrong, same with Wordpad.

Which program can I use ?

strange as it may sound, I’d give the dos based “edit” command a go

Yes. notepad does not understand unix line endings, but most other editors do - wordpad for example.

If you add lines with a windows editor, they may be written with dos line endings, which sometimes causes problems at the unix end.

I would convert text files before delivering them using dos2unix. This is available on most linux systems and you can download various versions of it for windows - for example from http://www.bastet.com/ .

See also unix2dos on the same site, if you want to have text files with the dos line endings.

Notepad++ for Windows should do it. I use it for HTML and all text based files now.

http://www.textpad.com/

a very nifty editor.

DT.

vi :smiley:

Oh good god no, VI !! I think I got the hang of it after about half hour but jeeze, talk about being just functional ! Just saving the file at the end took several attempts :lol:

I’ve grabbed notepadd++ and textpad, both look really good, will have a play :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Peige;441008]Oh good god no, VI !! I think I got the hang of it after about half hour but jeeze, talk about being just functional ! Just saving the file at the end took several attempts :lol:
[/QUOTE]

What’s difficult about :wq or if you’re old school :zz? Nah joking apart it is a bit of a dysfunctional bear but once you get the hang of the commands it is a very powerful tool. And it shares commands and syntax with other command line tools so if you’re going to spend any decent amount of time on *nix (which after all is configured almost exclusively by edits to text files) it’s worth getting to know.

I much prefer nano over vi, mainly due to the nasty way of working with vi - nano is simpler and easier to use.

Another vote here for nano.