EU warns Microsoft over Vista feature set

[I]The EU Competition Commissioner has warned Microsoft that it will not be allowed to sell Windows Vista in Europe if contains certain features.
Neelie Kroes wrote to the company last week to express her concerns, which centre on Microsoft’s plans for Internet searching. A spokesman for Kroes said that the EU is concerned that Microsoft could use Internet Explorer 7 to ‘unfairly direct computer users to Microsoft’s own search service’.

Google is among a number of search companies that have contacted the EU to express their concerns over this.

Microsoft told the Wall Street Journal (via Reuters) that it was not aware of Kroes’ letter and therefore could not comment.

European Commission spokesman Jonathan Todd said that the EU will begin new proceedings against Microsoft if, like Windows XP, Vista is deemed to break competition laws.

‘We are concerned about the possibility that the next Vista operating system will include various elements which are currently available separately from Microsoft or other companies,’ Todd said.

‘We assume Microsoft has its own interest at heart and it wants to launch another product without having to worry about the Commission instituting various actions under antitrust law because of this product,’ he added.

Microsoft has already confirmed that it will release an ‘N’ version of Vista, which, like XP B, will be stripped on Windows Media Player functionality to comply with the EU’s 2004 ruling on the company’s anti-competitive practices.[/I]

Source, but I’ve seen several takes on other sites…

We assume Microsoft has its own interest at heart and it wants to launch another product without having to worry about the Commission

Does this mean Vista is damned before they even see it?

Google is among a number of search companies that have contacted the EU to express their concerns over this

So they are concerned about competition and see a way to maybe shortcut this before release?

Don’t get me wrong I am no Gates cheerleader but I just get the feeling that after the previous 2004 ruling certain interested parties may see the EU commission as a loaded gun, and maybe the EU commission having scored a goal like the taste of victory?

Who knows? We never elected 90% of these people so they have no obligation to tell us the truth…

There is cause for concern about Vista. The EU commission is justified, IMHO, with warning Microsoft. Vista is being design to come fully loaded, with everything M$ wants you to have (their stuff, that is). That’s the exact thing that got them in trouble in the first place.

Microsoft has always used their OS to push their other software. Vista will have more M$ software tied into it than any of their other OS’s, and considering their monopoly position, that’s unfair. I’m glad the EUC isn’t letting them out of their sights. Someone needs to keep M$ in check (God knows they won’t do it over here… :frowning: ).

I take a different side here… we all want more money and to M$ that means throwing all there stuff at this…

if you dont like Windows up it and move to Linux!

imo the future for windows will be;

windows will be freely downloadable off the internet and you pay a monthly fee to use it…

but thats just me… Ill be sticking to XP :slight_smile:

I wonder if the EU version will be available in the US…

Yes… so long as you can pay for the shipping… :chuckle:

That’s true about the money, but it must be done legally. That’s the point of contention.