Fedora 9

Anyone going to try this out? I’m just downloading it, hopefully it will fix the wireless isues I had with F8 :xfinger:

The mirrors are a little slow right now, but using a download manager I’m getting ~800KB/s.

I’ve a box in work just waiting for a ‘slow’ day to have a play, and now it’s been bumped up in convo I think I may just have to steal the office bandwidth tomorrow.

Out of interest, and for reasons that may become clearer later, do you have any experience in using Gentoo :chin:

DT.

Only experience of Gentoo was ages ago when it was a real PITA to set up and I gave up after a couple of days trying to install it :frowning:

not had the time to play with ubuntu yet, but if I can’t get the damned graphics drivers working with dual-screen, then I may give it a go.

what’s the interest in gentoo DT? :chin:

most of our servers at work are Gentoo, so I know it pretty well :wink:

To go completely off topic, we are looking for the impossible so we’ve been told by some recruitment agencies, that is someone who can do the sysadmin stuff for our internal systems that are on Gentoo, be admin for our windows server, general IT support for ‘users’ MACosx and windows. Oh and be good with the design eye and capable of a little html/php.

I was just pondering … :wink:

DT.

Well, new blank dvds have been purchased, the f9.iso is burned and now I’m off to install… if I’m not back later on you’ll know I’ve borked the dual boot install :smiley:

Woohoo, the install went fine (albeit with some partition jiggling) - the only and initial hitch I have found is that by default firefox is 3b5 and I can’t get a copy of Foxmarks so I can’t grab my bookmarks :frowning:

SELinux is enabled by default, there’s no option to modify it at install time.
Doesn’t seem to have the option to log in as root by default (I’m assuming you can change that in Users & Groups etc…)

It detected my wlan just fine, no problems there which hasn’t always been the way with Fedora - I just have to sort out the video drivers and it should be usable :slight_smile:

mp3 playback is less hassle than before, open Rhythmbox, select an mp3 file and it prompts you do download the correct codec - definite improvement.

Right, off to sort out the video stuff etc - Fedora forums here I come!

just under an hour to download here, I’ll be joining in the exploration later on today :slight_smile:

blank dvd’s - check
spare time - errrmmm what the hell :wink:
machine - c2d e2160 - that’ll do :smiley:

DT.

well the anaconda installer never fails to impress, left the office last night with it at the ‘starting install’ phase, came back this morning to a fully working machine.

We’ve also just put it onto a 1u rackmount dell that we have here as well, less than 20minutes to install EVERYTHING, although the cheapo monitor we have is struggling with the output res :frowning: Did the job though, wanted lspci output as the gentoo install wasn’t noticing the hd controller …

:thumbsup: from me for Fed9 though :smiley:

DT.