FF 5 ":visited" line in css

Tried FF 5 and ran into a major deal breaker.

It didn’t have to do with add-on compatibility as much as userChrome.css.

They’ve disabled . . . hard coded in Gecko . . . the “:visited” link line in user css’s.

I use that to mark my visited links, both external and internal.

The lines I used on 3.6.17 were:

a:visited:before {
content:"\2297\00A0";
color: red;
}

That gives me a nice Unicode marker in 3.6.17.

A cache refresh removes them for the next session.

But 5 disables it entirely.

So I went back to 3.6.17

(In case anybody is wondering . . . NO, I didn’t come up with this css code all by my lonesome.

Though it would be ego-boosting to claim it was an original thought, it was in fact a stylish.com piece of code that I modified.

Speaking of stylish, it IS compatible with 5. It’s just that 5 wouldn’t run the particular css that I cited above . . . sort of an add on within an add on that it wouldn’t run.

Tried the css code above in both Stylish and userChrome.css . . . no joy with either.)

Anybody know a workaround for this?

BTW, yes, I am aware of why it has been removed, and the arguments for and against.

But the reality is that it has been removed, so driving this thread south on any argument I might have against it (and I DO) is not my intent . . . I have “complained” about it elsewhere.

Please don’t misunderstand . . . I don’t mean to be abrasive . . . but my point in posting here was my concluding question: “Anybody know a workaround for this?”

I’m using 5 and I based the coding on my sites on the following css basic and so far I’ve had no issues

a:link {color:green;}
a:visited {color:green;}
a:hover {color:red;}
a:active {color:yellow;}

To make it more specific for a section within a web page I’ve added a class to a link thus:

<p class=“c2”>Whatever jobs you have <a href=“contact.htm” class=“ask”><strong>JUST ASK</strong></a> and if I can carry them out I will, or I will try and find someone who can.</p>

The above is a contact link within a paragraph and to make it work I added the following css:

a.ask{font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:0.9em;background:none;border: 0px #000000 solid;color:#F15517;text-decoration:none;display:inline;}

The above is the colour of the link itself and the “ask” bit is the class identifier

a.ask:hover {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:0.9em;background:none;border: 0px #000000 solid;color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;display:inline;}

The above is the colour of the link when you hover over it, so theoretically you can do the same but for the visited link as well, something like:

a.ask:visited {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:0.9em;background:none;border: 0px #000000 solid;color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;display:inline;}

and change the colour scheme accordingly. Instead of a colour you could add a link to a gif file as well I’d guess, but I’ve never done it myself.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for Bob?