File searching in Win7

This is starting to get annoying. I’ve been avoiding it long enough but I need a good solution now. What I want is a filename/foldername search that goes from the start point defined (e.g. disk or subfolder, including program/system ones). Just like Win2k did, or XP set to classic search mode. The Win7 search just finds a million unrelated files, I assume due to file contents, which I don’t care about as far as the search is concerned. It’ll be nice to have the “files changed in last (time)” and “file bigger than (size)” type options too.

In a web search, it looks like you can use additional commands to limit the win7 search, but I don’t want to do that every time even if I can figure out how to do exactly what I want. If it wasn’t for >4GB ram usage I might as well go back to XP…

Have you checked the File Search Options area (Folder Options)?

I had missed that actually… but there’s nothing in there that really helps. But in poking around a bit more, I found I can set the indexer to not search inside files. That might be close enough for now, but it is still not great.

What missing options?

I’ve always found the search to work well, and fast.

My 2p

I saw that before but it didn’t do anything other than put an uncompleted bit in the search field. I just gave that another try, and this time I got a drop down list of options. They weren’t there when I tried before… I’ll have to try it some more to see if it behaves as expected.

Combined with turning off file content indexing, I think that is close enough, although it is still a more cumbersome than the classic way.

edit: Ok, new annoyance. If you sort results by folder, it appears to list the results found by containing folder name, then the path to that. Can we have the good old full pathname sort?

I know what mean its a bit pants.

does not sort your issue but also… if you type search into your start bar box…
there is entry under control panel for changing certain search parameters also.

not played with it myself.

IIRC when you do the search, there is an advanced option somwhere. When you pick that, then you get the old method of searching that your used to.

Not in front of a Vista or Win7 machine at the moment so I can’t pull up the search and tell you where it’s lurking.

[QUOTE=P51 Mustang;453463]IIRC when you do the search, there is an advanced option somwhere. When you pick that, then you get the old method of searching that your used to.

Not in front of a Vista or Win7 machine at the moment so I can’t pull up the search and tell you where it’s lurking.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried boolean searches?

Have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/tipsandtricks.mspx

There’s a bewildering array of searches not just under windows, but search engines too. My lad often leans over my shoulder and says, “heck, you don’t need to do that”. Oh yes you can. You can even search for code fragments in pages.

But boolean is a good start…

For a starter, try AND or OR