First 'soft-road' day in the Freelander

Well, lots of plus points to take from today. I’ve been at Hogmoor Arena all day with is another MOD training site in Hampshire. One of the largest sites used for 4x4 days I’ve ever been to, we did just under 30miles on the course making sure that we had done every lane marked on the map supplied.

The map was supplied as the site is so vast, that recovery marshals simply can’t cope ‘with over in the corner’, needs to be more specific.

So how did the Freelander get on?

errrmmm, WOW :smiley:
I had worries over my recovery points as all I’ve got at the moment are the standard towing points, which although highly rated at 5ton I was a little concerned about, expecially with the known issue of ground clearance of a standard Freelander and I’m on sporty road tyres. We had a few sticky moments for sure, but there is a simple method, if the traction control light comes on = floor it and let the car handle it while you search for grip. A few highlights, we watched several recoveries for one section and once I had got to grips with the car figured it was about time I gave the marshals a laugh and attempted the same section. There were a few spectators who had gone round the ‘easy’ route and were intrigued to see me line up for the run. I picked the line well after seeing others go through, one bump in the middle of the section and that was where people were sticking, the Freelander being quite light however just didn’t get bogged down at all in the bump, went straight through with simple foot to floor and steer method.

So a first day out, a great day out. Plenty of fun, and I really do like the Freelander. It’s already back to shiny status on the outisde, and all the exterior. Need to clean out the engine bay and check on the brakes tomorrow night due to it being a sandy course. I didn’t have to use the brake pedal much, but the traction control does, so better safe than sorry.

No pics spotted of us yet, if some are uploaded then I’ll link to them. Oh, and the video of one driver having to SWIM out of his car to get to shore and get recovered :lol:

Cracking day out :thumbsup:

DT.

http://www.tv4x4.co.uk/index.php?set_albumName=album01&id=DSCF1210&option=com_gallery&Itemid=36&include=view_photo.php

Yay a picture of ‘<enter new name here>’ :smiley:

DT.

Very nice. :slight_smile:

Dirty! :smiley:

Glad to see it coped OK DT. I’ve taken an FL off road with chunky tyres and it coped really well.

I think <enter new name here> should be Ruby, 'cause it’s red. No other reason :shrug:

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;436489] I picked the line well after seeing others go through, one bump in the middle of the section and that was where people were sticking, the Freelander being quite light however just didn’t get bogged down at all in the bump, went straight through with simple foot to floor and steer method.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;430195]Diff Lock ?

The “Like you stole it” approach works for everything but mud runs without needing difflock.

[/QUOTE]

Learn well do you Young Jedi.

The Freeloader has some sort of viscous coupling that only works at transferring drive to the rear wheels with a bit of revs when things are spinning.
Watching the videos of the bloke who tried tried to sue Landrover because his Freelander couldnt cross a wet lawn it seems the way to ensure it gets stuck is to be gentle and keep lifting off.

DT captured on camera later in the day ?

Dont read this