Flash chat

In addition to being a member of tpr, I am also a member on a fourm about chevy diesel pickups. They have recently added a flash chat to the site for real time discussions. That site also uses the same software etc. for the fourm. I was wondering if this is something that we may want to add to this site. Here is a link to that site.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

Darin, we already have an irc channel if you’re looking to chat real time to some of us :smiley: Although it is technically a separate part of TPR (i.e. what goes on in the channel has no reflection of the boards) it is 99.9% TPR members that are in it :slight_smile:

If you wanna come join us, we’re on Quakenet (random server) and the channel is #the_bulls**t_free_zone (substitute stars for the letters ;)) :smiley:

Would love to participate in IRC, but here at work, they have that stuff locked down for “security” reasons. Read it as there is no reason to use IRC for anything work related.

At home, the wife gets after me if I’m online for more than 10 minutes saying that I am on the computer all day at work, why do I need to be on it at home.

So, about the only time I could join in the chats would be at work. But hence the problem, I can’t use IRC.

What about Dammo’s Java based irc? Would that work at all?

Link is in his sig if you want to try :slight_smile:

If you are talking about the one in Damski’s sig, that doesn’t work for me either.

Problem is there’s a no win situation as it won’t please everyone.

I could for example… log in via the java client access but not via this method :wink:
as it would mean having flash7+ on my work’s PC which our IT dept. would rap
me over the knuckle heavily for having a non IT approved program on me PC :wink:

The app is actually a bolt on (Portal) http://www.tufat.com/s_flash_chat_chatroom.htm

Plus it would mean having a hosting server be it current or other and bandwidth suitable
to sustain it… so were talking money somewhere or a very generious soul to let us consume bandwidth.

Though… Something for somebody to look into :wink: I’m shortly going to sleep anyway
and that is if a gateway to the IRC channel can be set up using a flash based client ?

Bit like Damski’s Java one but using one of the flash based things out there.

get googling folks :wink:

:wave: I best drop by :lol:

I’ll have a delve and a think after coffee :lol:

DT.

Thought I had found a way around my problems. Actually got into the channels for TPR and Ogame. 15 min later, the network admin calls me and says “you’ve got a naughty computer over there. It’s showing IRC traffic. Best fix it ASAP.”

Well, now I know for sure that the ports etc. are open but they watch for any and all IRC traffic and step on it when they see it.