Forced upgrade

I’ve had a OCZ solid3 60Gb on the shelf for a while now, it’s specs mean it is very slightly faster than the Mushkin in my desktop so the plan was to put it in there. But that’s showing no signs of happening and my laptop HD/install something or other is borked.

So now, speed increase a plenty on the laptop but can I cope with 60Gb compared to the 500Gb 7200rpm WD Scorpio black. Time to get a little more economical with version control of code :lol:

laptops are the only feasible market I can see for those hybrid drives… really tempted to ask for one for my work lappy :smiley:

amazing how much space you don’t need when you spend a few hours archiving stuff :smiley:

USB3 caddy brought for the WD drive, seems to be reporting good health now - no ideas but a damn good excuse to upgrade. Laptop even allows me to boot from it, so I’ve got a dual boot :lol:

I have everything in version control systems and yet even had copies of old project going back 6 years in the dev folder, checked they are all still in the version control systems, they’ve gone. So much stuff I just don’t need to keep with now having a 40 up&down connection in the office.

Nice to have SSDs… although more so in laptops/netbooks than desktops I find. The lack of noise and vibration is more noticeable I guess, and it might be slightly faster too :smiley: Space wise I was managing ok on a desktop with 120GB once I figured out it was best to put Steam onto another drive :smiley: Right now I have 45GB in use although I could probably tweak that more if I needed to.

How’s the OCZ doing? As posted in another thread I had assorted issues with the desktop build I started early last year, one of which was due to the firmware in the Vertex 3 having issues with certain systems of which mine is one. After some firmware updates they were mostly solved, but it wasn’t quite 100% for me. I recently fixed the remaining fraction of a % by replacing it with a Crucial m4, with the plan I’ll put the OCZ into my laptop where hopefully it isn’t an affected system.

The fun doesn’t end with the m4. No sooner had I got the old disk cloned over, I found the m4 apparently has a 5000 power on hour bug, where people have reported crashes once the drive passes that time. Under occasional usage that isn’t a problem, but I tend to leave my main system on 24/7 so that’s only 7 months run time. Fortunately they’re aware of it and are expected to have a fix soon…

Apart from the OCZ drive not being recognised by the firmware update tool, it’s running fine - been on all day. It’s a laptop, it’s not going to be lightening, but it is a dual core P9500 with 4Gb ram, so it’s no slouch with the mechanical. Battery life is nearly an hour better with the ssd. I’ve got the high capacity battery and I could now work a full day without the charger.

I’m working on the “it works” so no fix with the drive, whatever firmware it is on, it can stay on :slight_smile:

If “it works” changes to “it doesn’t” at least you might have a clue where to start looking. My problem was infrequent BSODs which I had no clue about the source of until a chance article on Anandtech mentioned it. They were quite infrequent (once in many days or weeks), so it might not be immediately apparent. I believe the Solid uses the same chipset as the Vertex 3… but as it also seemed system dependant, it might be no issue at all.

I didn’t think about the battery life, so that would be a bonus. I’m not impressed with my current personal laptop. Be lucky to get a few hours on a full charge.