Forum Reduction

With the few postings occuring here lately i am wondering if it would be worth reducing the number of forums, so it wouldnt feel like we were floating around like farts in a bottle?

Also for any new users to the forum it wouldnt look so daunting and DEAD.

This obviously would requier some work from thoose who are able to create, merge rename and generally fettle the forum layout and understand on this point if this is not possible, but a little spring clean and a big stick of tnt is needed to excite this now dead but once thriving forum.

I would suggest the following

Crunching
Crunchers cafe
Space - seti,
Biological - Folding, rosetta, simap, climate prediction.
Other

General computing
Hardware and networking
Operating systems and software
Design Coding etc

Tatooine
Cantina
Comedy club
Hobbies (merging of pit lane av lounge and photography)
Wattos

Games
Pc + console
Online browsing
+secret areas

Corsucant as is.

I hope O Game is in there somewhere…:xfinger: :xfinger:

Jimbo :slight_smile: :tiphat:

you read my mind Preecey, probably assisted by the removal of a couple of dead forums. I like the ‘hobbies’ name - that was one I was stuck with :lol:

At the moment the spare time I’ve got is being spent with some pruning of forum threads and posts, prior to making such a suggestion. You beat me to it:D

Let’s hope the suggestions come flowing from others.

DT.

[QUOTE=Phoenix II;405711]I hope O Game is in there somewhere…:xfinger: :xfinger:

Jimbo :slight_smile: :tiphat:[/QUOTE]

Think it comes under

Games
Pc + console
Online browsing
+secret areas <====================

As for the restructure it is definitely needed.

With far less traffic there’s far too many places to hide a post than have it be seen. I know some will complain they don’t want this mixed with that but there is just no justification to have things so spread out.

I think Preecey’s idea is good. I cant see anything there that I would change.

Like the merging of the OS and software one.

No issues here, I do believe and feel some visitors / new members have felt a bit lost on the complexity of the forums from things said by some ogamers.

I do feel (in my view) that the top level is a very long list of categories for the small community we are, which might be better embedding a level deeper so its kind of like area’s of interest then the sub forums of the top level within and its lot like it will effect our google ranking and such like.

[QUOTE=PMM;405737]
I do feel (in my view) that the top level is a very long list of categories for the small community we are, which might be better embedding a level deeper so its kind of like area’s of interest then the sub forums of the top level within and its lot like it will effect our google ranking and such like.[/QUOTE]

:chin:

Like this idea, probably best applied to the hobbies section. would reduce the clutter and also allow people to read about TFW and his latest mechanical adventure without getting lost in the last england fotball /cricket cockup. :slight_smile:

What paul suggest sort of reminds me what hexus does. It list it’s sub forums in the main forum header, can see them but they don’t fill up the screen.

[QUOTE=PMM;405737]No issues here, I do believe and feel some visitors / new members have felt a bit lost on the complexity of the forums from things said by some ogamers.

I do feel (in my view) that the top level is a very long list of categories for the small community we are, which might be better embedding a level deeper so its kind of like area’s of interest then the sub forums of the top level within and its lot like it will effect our google ranking and such like.[/QUOTE]

the layout of the structure of the forums has little or no bearing on the google page ranking, it’s purely cosmetic.

DT.

No problems from me… for a long time the only posts in many of the biological forums has been the news posts.

Curly

:thumbsup: here time for a change anyway why not try a more compact layout?

I agree that it’s time to downsize some of the forums :agree:

Also agree its time for a downsize, way too much dead stuff… spread too thinly I think is a term used before.

going to make a start on the distributed computing projects now then :slight_smile:

DT.

Wohoooo lets get it awwwnnnnnn :smiley:

Looking better, the place seems active now :).

Wwwwww just noticed the tweak of the crunching sub forums - Nice one Malc :smiley:

Your quick off the mark :stuck_out_tongue:

I am having a hard time following the New Board arrangement. Is it just me, or are there others? I realize it’s not my business, and maybe it has to be this way, but wondering if others were having problems?

Thanks…:smiley:

Jimbo:) :tiphat:

let me guess Jimbo - the merge of the Ogame forum into ‘Online Brower Gaming’. Ogame public maybe does warrant it’s own forum, but the handfull of others don’t. Correct me if my guess is wrong :slight_smile:

/edit - I think I can see where the possible confusion is with the Ogame secret forum, it’s ‘parent’ is now games, not online browser gaming. For those that have access it now displays on the front page :slight_smile:

DT.