Forum Software Upgrade

Some advanced notification, that during the hours of 9-5 tomorrow the forums will be shut down for the first step of upgrading to the latest version of vbulletin. I would like to give an accurate time but I will be doing this during “slack” time from work.

The estimated downtime should be no longer than 1hour.

Regards,

DT.

thanks for the warning. are members going to need to remake thier profiles or will it stay the same?

If all goes well there will be no need to change /update profiles …etc they will stay as they are.

Curly

Thanks for the heads up DT.

Scott no need to owrry abtou profiles, as if everything goes ‘pete tong’ i’m sure DT will have a forum backup somewhere.

:slight_smile:

Don’t forget :wink: PMM is host to backup forum during such outages
where all are most welcome to hang out until TPR is back online.

Hopefully the upgrade will be painless and downtime will be short
and we can all be posting back here effortlessly.

For those not in the know :wink: http://www.brittech.co.uk/phpBB2/

cool, cheers guys

a bit more info - this will take us from 3.0.1 to 3.0.7 as that is the most stable release in the 3.0.X series of vbulletin, even though 3.0.10 has just recently been released. This sets us up for the upgrade to the 3.5.X core of vbulletin. Being on the latest 3.0.X means that the bigger leap to 3.5.X should in theory not be as big - if you get my meaning :slight_smile:

Don’t forget that PMM provides a “backup” site located at;
http://www.brittech.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

DT.

Thanks for all your hard work DT. What new bells and whistles do we get to play with:)

Sounds good. :slight_smile:

I’m sure I don’t need to remind you to backup. :wink:

I dont think it caused any downtime when I upgraded to 3.5.0 and it took about 10 minutes… it all depends how quickly you can click ‘next’ since there is allot of them.

3.5.1 came out a couple of weeks ago too and secures some security probs in php.

all done - one slight hitch on the way with the control panel but that was easy enough to fix. :slight_smile:

I’ll be sorting out further upgrades soon, vbulletin have just released an official (rather than hack) Skype integration to the very latest release, so I’ll be renewing the licence from the affiliate funds soon. And that will mean more toys for you to play with :slight_smile:

DT.

Oops, my bad. I didn’t even read this thread:embarrassedsmilie:

Hmmm… Upgrade seems to have gone fine… except that now the threads marked as “new” don’t unmark themselves… It’s annoying. :frowning:

I used to have this problem very occasionally before, but it always disappeared after a few times viewing. Now it just sticks as “new”.

Edit: Ok, it’s still annoying, but if I refresh, then it changes them all from “new”.

that’s for that Aether - second user to notice/mention it so it’s definately not a one off. I think it’s down to the way VB handles viewed threads, in 3.0.X it uses cookies, in 3.5.X it uses the database as far as I can tell from reading up on it.

If I do new posts, read one and then go back, it remains “unread”. Press new posts again and it does update. I recall that the “back” button before did sometimes mark posts as read. I’ll read up - but with the plans in place to go the full leap to the latest versions it should be but a temporary issue anyway :smiley:

DT.

ten minute warning for going up a couple of more rungs on the ladder to see if that solves it :smiley:

DT.

Hell it did that to me BEFORE the update…

Erm… i think that’s normal in I.e. anyway the back button causes the cached copy
of the previous page to be viewed from the local drive.

I’ve always had that issue on using the back button before the recent changes so its
not any new bug that been introduced.

though that could be the way that user’s have i.e. setup.

Worth checking if you have temp pages set up to check for new pages
every visit rather than when its set to automatic.

Hmm… I’m using Fx, but all I know is that it didn’t do that before the upgrade.

I use both :wink:

And I can say for sure hitting the back button for me would give an old page copy on both.

In firefox… goto your url entry box

type in… about:config

scroll down to … browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

note the value… betting it 3 ? which is the default and tells firefox to now and then check if its the current page.

Change that value to … 1 = check alway’s

See if that changes its behaviour:)