Free Amazon server for a year ?

Its knee deep in disclaimers and is only available to new signups, except where it is also available to those who have already signed up :confused:

With a few clicks and registering of a credit card you can have a running Amazon server to play with for a year on the Free-Tier plan
https://aws.amazon.com/s/dm/optimization/server-side-test/free-tier/free_np/

If you fancy testing your security skill, setup a few services and see how long it stays running, between initial boot and my first login there were five attempted SSH connections, in one minute.

Amazon took a dim view of my running instance, not quite a cease and desist notice.

I setup a postgres DB and used it store details of open ports on any server that attempted an SSH connection.

Automated port scanning is apparently a bad thing to do, even if it is event triggered.

Sacked the AWS EC2 free trial off ASAP after getting a billing surprise as a New Year gift.

It turned out to be an error, total usage was multiplied by 31 to generate the forecast.
Trying to work out what that would cost, from a moving car with a bit of a hangover sort of put me off.

Not sure I’d trust that. If they can get that wrong what bills might you expect?

Its the cloud though, the new Wild West, the place to be, like the internet before script kiddies grew up to write ransomware.

Come on in, the waters fine, no sharks in here.
Sheriff Brody is a crazy man!
You’ll be fine, just put all your data in, I’ll even hold your wallet for you, just to keep it safe from everybody ( but me ).

Cloud is just another phase in the E I V C letter sequence for current trends

E-Meetings,
I-Conference,
V-helpdesk,
C-ompleteLossOfDataControl

I wonder which big name company will be first to get fisted for a Cloud spillage when GDPR has got its kicking boots on ?

I would suggest a sweepstake thread…

Necro thread revival, but these free instances are still causing pain.

The amount of instances that I’ve reported for running scans on sites is starting to get silly now, to the point of the businesses now blocking the entire amazon IP range from accessing any servers - which is not a bad shout as why would a server need to visit the site apart from a malicious scanner. Then you realise that sitesafety stuff that has been subscribed to all seem to use these small instances as one offs to run the scripts, handily placing the IP on blacklists for the next poor sucker to get allocated that IP.

There’s not another way of putting it - complete shitstorm.

All because some bored trouble makers ran a few port scans!

Shouldn’t be allowed, hangings too good etc etc etc

1 Like

Milestone today for one of my employers.

EC2 instances all shutdown and deleted and moved to another provider. 40% saving for the same capacity and benefits.