Getting started with Android

Anything I need to know?

Just got myself a Dell Streak and wondered if there was anything I should be wary about.

Spending far too much time messing with your 'phone :wink:

Think that may be a given lol.

Cant find out how to lock this when it’s screen goes off. As its linked to Gmail, Google etc etc, I’d like it to lock then, not just on startup like the SIM lock dors. Any ideas?

I can get an HTC EVO with the following features for $199.
Is it really worth it?
Dual-mode 3G/4G device

We’ve got you covered with our dependable 3G network nationwide. Plus in select cites, enjoy access to turbo-charged web speeds on our 4G network. With peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps, 4G speeds are up to 10x faster than 3G. Up to 10x faster based on download speed comparison of 3G’s 600 kbps vs. 4G’s 6 Mbps. Typical published 3G avg. speeds (600 kbps-1.7 Mbps); 4G avg. speeds (3-6 Mbps). Actual speeds may vary.
Vibrant 4.3-inch touchscreen

Surf the web in style with one of the largest screens on the market. An easy-to-use interface lets you pinch to zoom in on your favorite pages.
Mobile Hotspot

Your phone doubles as a 3G or 4G internet connection for up to 8 laptops, game stations or any Wi-Fi device.
Dual cameras

Never miss a moment with an 8.0 megapixel camera with flash and a bonus 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera for video conferencing.
High-quality Video

Watch high-quality video, download pics and stream video all while on the go. This phone does it all - you can even share with an HDMI output at 720p. HDMI cable sold separately.
FM radio

Tune into your favorite local stations with a FM radio.
Accelerometer & proximity sensor

The accelerometer automatically adjusts Web pages and photos to your perspective so you can view them in landscape or portrait mode. Plus, for a more enjoyable viewing experience you can watch videos in the wider landscape mode as well. The proximity sensor automatically disables the touchscreen and turns off the display whenever you put the phone up to your ear.
HTC Scenes

Use Scenes to create different screen arrangements that reflect different aspects of your life. Each Scene is like having a separate phone for your work, play or travel life.
Social Network Integration

Stay close to the people in your life, with all your text and Twitter exchanges, email conversations, Facebook status, Flickr photo albums and phone logs, neatly organized by people.
Google Mobile Services

Gmail, Google Calendar and your Contacts are all synced with the Google server, so you can always have the latest info at your finger tips whether you are on your computer or on the go.
Android Market™

Android Market provides direct access to thousands of useful applications and fun games which you can download and install on your phone.
Visual Voicemail

Visual Voicemail gives you quick and easy access to just the messages you want to listen to by letting you go directly to a specific message, without needing to listen to or skip past previous messages.
MicroSD Memory Card Slot

Store photos, voice memos and music for instant access anytime. *Supports up to a 32GB card.
WiFi Enabled - 802.11 b/g

Utilize nearby Wi-Fi access points for high-speed data connection and internet access.
Corporate Email

Outlook email with Microsoft Direct Push Technology and HTML support.
Mobile Email

Access your email from well-known providers like AOL, Windows Live including MSN and Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! and more.
Instant Messaging

Chat from just about anywhere using Windows Live™ Messenger, Google Talk™, Yahoo® Messenger, AOL® Instant Messenger™.
Sprint Navigation Enabled

Search for the closest coffee shop, or navigate to a specific address with a 3D map that moves with you. Asking for directions is a thing of the past.
Document Viewing

Easily view Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF on the go to maximize your productivity.
Media Player

Features a media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack, so you can play video and music files you’ve downloaded. Supports Bluetooth stereo headset.
Sprint Football Live

Sprint Football Live is your all-access pass to college and pro football. Stay on top of every game with real-time red zone alerts, game center scores, stats, and more. Manage your pro football fantasy team with up-to-the-minute insights, analysis, stats and alerts. How to Access: This may already be pre-loaded on your phone. If not, text “FOOTBALL” to 7777* on your Sprint phone to download a full version of the application or download Sprint Football Live from Sprint Digital LoungeSM. *Standard text messaging and data rates apply.
NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM

With NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile, instantly connect to the NASCAR information you want, when you want it. Follow NASCAR action from practice to race day with real-time leaderboard and alerts. Get exclusive access to your favorite NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver with real-time driver stats, breaking news and more. Live in-car audio, race radio, NASCAR on SPEED and other audio/video only available on select phones. Visit sprint.com/speed for details.

How to Access: This may already be pre-loaded on your phone. If not, text “NASCAR” to 7777* on your Sprint phone or visit the Sprint Digital LoungeSM to download NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile. *Standard text messaging and data rates apply.
Sprint TV® Enabled

Watch live TV and video-on-demand with full-motion video and vivid sound. Catch the latest news, sports, weather, entertainment and movie trailers on the go.
Bluetooth® Enabled including Stereo BT profile

Enjoy the convenience of hands-free communication by using headsets, car-kits and other Bluetooth-compatible devices. **Bluetooth wireless accessories are sold separately.

Evo is supposed to be like the Desire, but slightly upgraded :slight_smile:

I’ve also heard it won’t work as a phone in the UK, hence I’ll be getting a Desire in a couple of weeks when my contract’s up for renewal :smiley:

Evo is supposed to be the mutt’s dangly bits :thumbsup:

Found the scren lock - it’s funny pattern thing rather than numeric. :slight_smile:

Any apps I need? I’ve installed a QR + Barcode reader and an app to monitor my usage (3G Watchdog)

Wireless data transfers via SMB shares and Astro? Why thank you. :smiley:

My contract is up for renewal in about a week or so, and have been looking at android phones. For the most part, everyone I’ve spoken to has said the desire is a damn good phone.

I’ve currently got a BB Storm and was looking to the Storm2 for the upgrade, but all the reviews I’ve read on that are crap.

Dropbox is available and works well too

Sweet! I missed the news they had an Android app. Downloading now (I love the QR reader, makes life so much easier :D)

[QUOTE=Scream;453593]My contract is up for renewal in about a week or so, and have been looking at android phones. For the most part, everyone I’ve spoken to has said the desire is a damn good phone.
[/QUOTE]

Can’t say I’ve seen a “bad” Android 'phone, I’d be pleased with any of them I think. The HTC line-up currently has three in the UK I believe, including one at just £15 per month contract. Then there’s the Google 'phone, the Xperia…horses for courses really, I love my Xperia to death, but it’s behind on Android OS levels and unlikely to get anywhere closer until the end of the year. On the plus side Mediascape and Timescape are great apps, the screen is huge & gorgeous, the camera is higher definition than my digital SLR… they all have their good & bad points.

My contract’s due in about a week too - I’ve narrowed it down to HTC Desire, or X10… X10 has a bigger screen, Desire has multi-touch… that’s about the only big difference that’s relevant to me (camera etc not too fussed about).

The HTC Hero I think is a cheaper Desire but still perfectly capable from what I’ve read.