Grub Error

I have in stalled ubuntu 7:10, when install has finished, remove cd/re-boot… come up with Grub loading Error 21, did a google:

This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full file name
refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by the
BIOS in the system.

any ideas? I have a feeling it’s the JMB361 ide controller on the motherboad

Curly

Does the BIOS show the drive?

the drive is seen on the jmicron controller, a jmicron utillity screen show the dvd-rw as master and the HD as slave…I can install no problems, on first reboot error 21

Curly

How have you got the Jmicron controller configured , on some there are ‘compatibility’ options .If you have the option set it for straight IDE mode some of the fancy options screw up, raid included. most of my ubuntu rigs use them fine with the basic settings .

First thing I did was check the options, only got raid, ide, disabled… it has been on ide all the time. probably end up having to buy a sata drive and trying that.

Curly

Only thing different on mine is I have the hard drive as master :confused: and remove the DVD after install

I could try that in the morning, packed it away for the night now

Curly

Can’t sleep so I have just done a re-install, disconnected the dvd drive and had the hd set as master and I still get “Error 21”

Curly

Blimey, theres three hours of your life you would have been better off sleeping through :chuckle:

boot back to the live cd and then mount the HD, check that /boot/grub/grub.conf is there and has the right HD. Do that by typing ‘df’ at the prompt of a live cd to make sure it’s put the right target in. Post the grub.conf here and the result of DF and lspci if you have that.

DT.

I used the alt-install cd so don’t have a live cd to boot into.

Curly

Download DSL and do the same. It’s only a 50Mb download so you can be into a live CD in no time.

I remember going through all this with SUSE 10.2 and Ubuntu 7.04, there were various work around’s but these were all sorted out with the latest releases. the only other things I can find with a bit of research is
a, hard drive duff . (includes wrong detection by bios , wrong type of IDE cable etc. - I did have one hard drive that would only work properly using cable select , but that was years ago )
b, motherboard bios needs updating (which board are you using ?)

Right this is where I am… I have added a sata drive to the system and managed to install unbuntu, and finally got to the desktop, started to update but it kept freezing when installing and update now give errors about dpkg being corrupt or similar, remembered that Mojo said it needed a bios update after much hunting about found a blank cd and updated the bios… I have now got folding running and samba configured, and the freezing has stopped… over the next to days I’ll try the pata drive again and have a looks see with the DSL live cd, I’ll also do a re-install to get rid of the errors when updating.

Mortlake: the motherboard is a Foxconn G9657MA-8EKRs2H

thanks for all the help :slight_smile:

Curly

Do you want me to send a SATA disk instead? No worries if this will be easier…PM me and let me know

[QUOTE=Mojo;407065]Do you want me to send a SATA disk instead? No worries if this will be easier…PM me and let me know[/QUOTE]no need Mojo, you have done enough already, I only got an 80gb sata drive and the other will probably work as storage drive… after the bios update all is well and folding is flying, just hope I have no problems sending the result back.

Thanks for the offer, Curly

No worries matey a worthy winner of the prize. Hope it gives you pleasure and its 4 more cores for TPR :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=Curly99;407073] just hope I have no problems sending the result back.
[/QUOTE]

Curly , there is a bug with Ubuntu and returning SMP results , you need to add your machine name in the 127.0.0.1 line in System/Administration/networks . or editing the /etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 “XXXXXX” localhost <---- change it to this (tab in between)

don’t change anything whilst FAH is running you will kill the WU. stop it before you make the changes .

Thanks for the tip mortlake here’s the 1st 2 line from my hosts file

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 shrew

what do I need to change…this was is probably the reason I could never send a result back on my other ubuntu install.

Curly

Just insert ‘shrew’ into the first line
127.0.01<tab>shrew<tab>localhost
leave the rest as is.
You can also go System/Administration/Network - under the hosts tab select properties of the 127.0.0.1 line and insert shrew in front of ‘localhost’