Happy 30th Birthday MS-DOS!!!

Hard to believe, but it is 30 years old!! :cheers:
A background article from ZDNet

Wow! Think I started off on Dos 3… I remember when dosshell was a big thing :smiley:

Dos 5.0 was the dos of choice, 6.2 was okay and a vast improvement on 6.0 but by that time Windows 3.11 was taking over and Dos was only used to load Windows, or play games :wink:

I can’t remember which DOS I started on now. Whatever was current the time Windows 3.0 came out. I did become quite the expert at freeing conventional memory!

I also remember getting into an argument with an IT guy when I started working over the amount of ram overhead doskey took. Back in those days, the work box I think was a 486 running W95… it barely run IE!

My first was 6.22 back in the early 90s. Needed it for the additional networking support.

Just remembered, I still have a 486 somewhere and think I got some ISA network cards around too… does this forum work on Lynx? :smiley:

I guess I could go all modern and use FreeDOS.

:lol: Might be worth a try Mackerel :smiley:

1.0 DOS was my first - oh wait I used it on the home brew computer, we all did back then QDOS. Miss those days of flipp’n switches to get the boot loader working. When Mr Bill got QDOS and made into 1.0 that is when things started. DOS even today is laying around for so many things and will be here for years to come. Process control systems still use DOS for booting into in many operations amazing how it has hung around forever! I guess simple is best.
I found my MS OS2 CD the other day from when I worked for MS on this and that. Maybe we could turn the way back machine on and go back to simple times…oh wait I like todays stuff better, never mind!