Hardware compat - this memory / mobo combo

Following my what’s causing these issues thread it looks very much like it’s the motherboard and I can’t find a replacement so it’s upgrade time.

I don’t need uber cutting edge or anything these days. Value and stability are more important. The Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H with an i7 3770 seem to look good for me.

So if possible I’d like to use my existing DDR3 RAM with this board. I have Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX). So questions are 1. will these dims work with this board? - the 2GB versions are listed in the supported memory list but not the 4GB. And 2. and if they do work would I be silly to use them given the board supports newer/faster memory. Again I don’t need bleeding edge but also don’t want to miss a material difference. Would I really notice? I might actually just add another 8GB of the same memory I’m if not.

Any thoughts?

Then I just need to hope if I plug the mirrored disks in I can get the data off ok, even if that means without them being in RAID for a bit.

actually ignore the last comment - plugged 1 disk from each array into another PC and copied to a 3TB USB disk so the data is safe :slight_smile:

Glad I could help Spacey :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: - it’s taking an age to copy 3TB of data but it’s worth it.

Any thoughts on the memory with that motherboard?

I dropped 16GB into my system when I upgraded. This was up from 8GB. While I can’t say 16 makes the system any faster than 8, the heavy load usage is definitely noticeable. With the 8GB, I would see the page file grow slightly. With the 16GB the page file is non-existent. Considering how cheap memory is, I would go with the extra memory. I bought GSkill Ares 2x8GB sticks. I’ve had extremely good luck with GSkill… highly recommended.

not so worried about the capacity increase making it faster so to speak. That’s more to help when in Photoshop etc. The question is more about this memory and mobo combo. Would it be worth just buying new memory to go with it? would 8gb of whatever the best memory the board can take be noticeably different to the 8gb I have now? I have no idea about the numbers on modern kit so can’t tell how far behind my current memory is!

Having done some google research into this, I would buy new memory which runs at 1.5V. The memory you listed runs at 1.65V, which the mobo will support, however it appears Intel’s I7 3770K has the memory controller built in and expects memory to be running at 1.5V. There’s a ton of information out there, but this thread was particularly helpful since it was direct from Intel: http://communities.intel.com/message/202197

** Edit ** I forgot to mention that the speed specs on your memory are in line with what you can expect from memory that size. 9-9-9-20something is normal.

Thanks. So this in either 8 or 16 GB kit is in the supported memory list for the board and isn’t fantastically expensive :slight_smile: Timings not quite as good but hey ho.

So next silly question!

reading the specs on the board it says:

1.1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

• For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  • Whether PCI Express 3.0 is supported depends on CPU and graphics card compatibility.
    2.1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
  • The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_2/3 slots. The PCIEX1_2/3 slots will become unavailable when a PCIe x4 expansion card is installed.
    3.3 x PCI Express x1 slots
    (PCIEX4 and PCIEX1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

Really?!?! So the 2nd PCIEX1 slot would be covered by my primary graphics card anyway but not having the 3rd may become a bit of a problem given that I might ditch the old PCI RAID card for a newer PCIEX one and this 3rd slot would be the only one free.

Anyway this got me checking. I’d be wanting to put my 2nd graphics card in the second PCIEX16 slot which is an ATI HD6450. Will this run at x4 and create the above problem? I’m assuming it will.

That’s the way I read it. Not knowing your current config, but will you actually need a RAID card? The mobo does support RAID natively. Also, unless you have something dedicated to it, the PCIEX1_1 slot should still be available.

On top of the SSD I have 8 HDDs so all the on board SATA ports plus another 4 on the PCI RAID card are needed. Of course I could just replace the 1TB drives with larger ones and reduce the number but that’s more money and I already have plenty of the 1TBs and spares.

EDIT - I could of course get a different board with more ports. There’s an MSI one with 4x SATA III and 4x SATA II

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-GD65.html

How about this Asus one?

It has got 2 PCI slots so you could still use your existing RAID card.