HELP

I have the CEO’s laptop on my desk running Vista and I can’t add it to the domain.

His account that was created when setup doesn’t have admin priveledges and the administrator account has been disabled.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Are there any other accounts on there?

Do any of the win2k/XP type password recovery tools work on Vista yet?

So, you have a machine, youv’e disabled the built in administrator account, and not set up another? well that’s clever, I didn’t think it could be done. if you can’t log in with admin rights then you’ll be up a creek without a paddle.

Sorry

Sadly it can be done, I’ve done it on various XP installs when tired :furious:. Create a new administrator account, forget to add the administrator rights, then disable the default administrator account and logout… :sigh:.

you can get back in - just requires a bit of work :slight_smile:

Google things along these lines and I’m sure you’ll find what you are looking for :luke:

DT.

[QUOTE=Damski;372692]So, you have a machine, youv’e disabled the built in administrator account, and not set up another? well that’s clever, I didn’t think it could be done. if you can’t log in with admin rights then you’ll be up a creek without a paddle.

Sorry[/QUOTE]

LOL, don’t jump to conclusions so quickly. It was a prebuilt Vista Business from Sony.

And for those of you that want to know the fix simply reboot into safe mode, this logs you in automatically with the admin account. Simply go into User Manager and de-select the “Account Is Disabled” and reset the password. Reboot and all is good in the hood.

Not very secure.

todays challenge - see what happens if you remove root from /etc/passwd on a linux box :chuckle:

/edit - well that’s that machine buggered :lol:

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;372839]todays challenge - see what happens if you remove root from /etc/passwd on a linux box :chuckle:

/edit - well that’s that machine buggered :lol:

DT.[/QUOTE]

Easy fix, I can do that one.

Wow, I thought that Vista would have security like XP Pro rather than XP Home.

The Slax bootable rom from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ophcrack/ophcrack-livecd-1.1.3.iso?download
will do the trick and is freely available to download; works on Vista the same as XP.

You sure it works on Vista? I tried Winternals ERD and Ultimate Boot CD with no luck.

Yes it does, but does not recognise SATA RAID as I have not been able to load the drivers during bootup.
If anyone knows how to load Linux drivers on bootable CD let me know please.

Awesome, thanks:thumbsup:

Same to me here :(.
I have been getting bored for upgrading everything when MS launch a new OS :frowning: