Intel Quad core

Im looking for a intel Quad Core But not to sure what type to look for. Im not to sure if i should save up now and buy one or wait awhile till they come down in price becuse of the i7’s. I dont mind if its new or 2nd hand as long as it would work defo for about year. So what Quad should i look for on ebay or even here? I see the Q6600 is pretty good. But i am still a child geting £10 a week for pocket money, Might take awhile to get about £150 for a new one or maybe abit less for a 2nd hand one even if i do sell this E2180 i have At the monment.

Cheers noel

Don’t count on i7 to push prices down any time soon with the pricing on their mobos making systems particularly expensive. The cheaper i7s wont be around for a while yet. Also I have to wonder if the weakness of the pound will push prices up if it hasn’t already done so as the Q6600 seems to have gone up in price since I got mine, and that wasn’t even at its lowest. In short, I would not put off buying in the short term in the hopes of near future price drops. But, unless you’re really hurting to get a quad, do try and sit it out for the next revision of i7 as it will be the mainstream affordable platform version. Might take you that long to save up for it anyway.

Thanks, Any idea when the more afforable i7’s will be out ? means i will need a new motherborad but i can hopefull sell the one i have now.

Off-topic about quad, Is a 8800GTS or maybe 9600Gt Good ? As i was thinking of selling my 9500GT and get one of them for a differece of about 30 pound (Thats if if i sell the 9500Gt for about £50 which ive seen on ebay)

Out of interest why’d you need a quad core?

I’ve got one and I’m thinking of selling. I just don’t NEED 4 cores. I would have been better with a purchase of a 3.2Ghz dual core. The amount of electric the quad core to me isn’t justified as I’m currently using it as a pure workstation rig (with the occasionaly gaming where a 3.2Ghz would have been better)

If it wasn’t a Dell system and thus prone to explode/die/not work if I changed parts, I would sell it and buy a faster dual core.

You have changed my mind abit, Tbh, i’d rather wait for a chaeper i7 or keep this dual. Now i want a lcd montior and a better graphics card or sli the one i have :slight_smile:

If you want a bargain LCD monitor I can thoroughly recommend my Hanns.G HX191D unit. Running it at 1280x1024 with no issues at all on VGA or DVI connector. Great brightness and contrast for the price. I paid £89 for it but you could buy one on Ebuyer for £81 inc. postage and VAT

Cheers Droid. Will look into it.

Is a 9600GT Any good at seti/folding? Ad I have this them : XFX NVidia GeForce 9600GT And Inno3D GeForce 9600GT And Zotac NVidia 9600GT

They could go at anytime. But which are any good ? Because a day agao i saw a zotac 9600GT OC2 for £50 :slight_smile:

also, Would they work with my system ? if they have the powe things then im fine i would say.

edit : On here is Shows a 8800 Is better then a 9500, Is that right ? as ive seen pretty cheap 8800 on ebay aswell.

Cheers noel

Once again you don’t need to go high end for anything. Early adopters pay a premium for new gear, but if you’re on a budget, just wait a while and you can get gear to cover most of the current games and allow you to crunch to a good enough standard. I’ve got this one for £35 in my 2nd machine and it performs OK for gaming and crunching, but they also have this one with DDR3 512mb on board for £70 inc VAT. Not top of the range but does the job just as good for those like me with a budget and not bottomless pockets.

Noel , I have a 8800gt 1024mb now surplus to requirements , it has a bodged Accelero X1 cooler on it at the moment but it can be restored to original in just a few minutes , I also have a Q6600 sitting on the shelf doing nothing (I think its OK it’s not been in a board for 8 weeks or so - it won’t take long to test.) I want a new SLI mother board and a bit more memory that come to £130 -:Plot:

[QUOTE=Noel da best;433949]Cheers Droid. Will look into it.

Is a 9600GT Any good at seti/folding? Ad I have this them : XFX NVidia GeForce 9600GT And Inno3D GeForce 9600GT And Zotac NVidia 9600GT

They could go at anytime. But which are any good ? Because a day agao i saw a zotac 9600GT OC2 for £50 :slight_smile:

also, Would they work with my system ? if they have the powe things then im fine i would say.

edit : On here is Shows a 8800 Is better then a 9500, Is that right ? as ive seen pretty cheap 8800 on ebay aswell.

Cheers noel[/QUOTE]

8800s are pretty good all-rounders I have a dual GTX ultra setup in my games machine and a GTS in my media centre, very pleased with both types and they are coming down in street/ebay price dramatically because of the new 9 series. Seti performance is nearly equivalent card for card, despite the Ultra’s higher clock and memory speeds and the fact it has double the memory of the GTS. So unless you want 1920x1080 big screen gaming or bigger don’t discount them (even my GTS can spray 1080p video onto a screen this size so I might even be wrong there.)

Mojo paints a good picture…

…certainly when games can take advantage of SLI

8800 GTS in SLI can compete well with the likes of a single ati 4870

Below is a recently compiled qty of stats compiled by myself for a game benchmark, it kind of echo’s Mo’jo comments main results at 1280x1024 res.

clicky

Even my old AGP 7 series could spray out HD at 1920x1080 so any card later than that with purevideo can to HD TV content.

Cheers Mortlake, sent you a pm.

Ive been googleing the 8800gt vs he 9600gt. Most people say the 8800 hands down, but some say if you have a smaller then 19" moniter (which i do) then the 9600gt is better and cheaper. Is that true ? and with the 8800 would you see the differce on a 17" monitor ?

To be honest I tend to view graphics card performance as a hurdle - as long as whatever card you have can clear the hurdle it matters not whether it clears it by an inch or a mile. “Would you see the difference” - well no as long as both cards can output the required resolution of the monitor and give you a snappy desktop at full colour depth and deliver ~30 fps in game and video play. I’m sure both could, you don’t state the resolution of your monitor but at 17" viewable I can’t think it’s more than 1280x1024 which a 9600 or 8800 should eat.

It will come down, inevitably, to price, to whether the thing fits in your system, to future proofing (planning on buying a 22" screen?), but these are subjective measures and can’t be used to describe which card is “best”. Its just a matter of personal choice.

From xtreview:

* GeForce 9600 GT 512 mb. (64 stream processors, 650/1625/1800 MHz) - > 10 357 points 3DMark'06;
* GeForce 8800 GS 384 mb. (96 stream processors, 575/1438/1700 MHz) - > 10 605 points 3DMark'06;
* GeForce 8800 GT 512 mb. (112 stream processors, 600/1500/1800 MHz) - > 12 508 points 3DMark'06. 

Based on this an 8800 would be “better” in 3D performance, if that’s the sort of answer you want?

The resolution I use is 1024 x 768 on an old 17". Im thinking soon of geting a lcd moniter but not to sure what size. Was thinking over 17". And thanks for the 3D performance, That helps alot.

Cheers Noel

On xtreview, Where do you find the points you would get from that a GPU ?

cheers noel

This Or This

I just got a 9600 GSO from XFX…Fast, heat is a little high but the 768 Megs of Ram makes my Duals LCD look great. On this system I have an AMD Triple Core, and it helps with FOLDING…One core for that, and the rest for work…

The one next upgrade it to Vista or WIN 7 but thats more work then I need at the minutes…XP still WORKS, and works well!

[QUOTE=drezha;433848]Out of interest why’d you need a quad core?

I’ve got one and I’m thinking of selling. I just don’t NEED 4 cores. I would have been better with a purchase of a 3.2Ghz dual core. The amount of electric the quad core to me isn’t justified as I’m currently using it as a pure workstation rig (with the occasionaly gaming where a 3.2Ghz would have been better)

If it wasn’t a Dell system and thus prone to explode/die/not work if I changed parts, I would sell it and buy a faster dual core.[/QUOTE]

Your right. I want this. :smiley:

I found the Dual Core E8400 was very good core and overclocks very well.
If you really want a quad go for the 9000 range as they overclock much better than the q6600.
As for GPUs I would go for the 8800gts (512mb version) over the 9600 as it is faster alround.
But if you want a GPU for gaming then the Radeon 4870 is faster than most cards and you can get them for £160+. No SETI though yet I think.

I got the GTS 512mb :slight_smile:

What do you guys think; 1.Sell my e2180 (Probly 30 odd pound) And then get this which looks pretty good.

Or 2.Sell my e2180 again but save for a while with a boost of cash when im geting 50 pound for doing something they get a Q6600 at about 120 pound. meaning all i need would be about 40 pound and i could save it up in a short while.

Help guys, Cheers noel