Joining the army

The IRA???

Chases mustang down the road

i dont know you but GOOD LUCK. :smiley:
my 17 year old brother is looknig to join up. parents are worried madless.

Ive hit a brick wall with the application process,
i was about to be sent off to selection wich is the part before basic training when i was told if my partner aka helen has any debts if i mary her the debts will also become mine meaning a possible discharge from the army later on.
so it would be pointless me joining just to get chucked out later.
basically they only care about things liek rent arrears and council tax,
but helen’s ex left nearly £2k of rent arrears on this flat and technically if i marry helen that makes me liable for them…
this country can be so messed up sometimes :frowning:
so either i come with a couple of grand or i dont join the army.
someone said well dont marry her then,
but indeed that would mean when i am in service i will only end up leaving her behind.
no living quaters for us.
meaning she will be here and ill be god knows where.
so back to the drawing board i guess.
Andy.

So get married when you have the money to pay off the debt, may mean your not together for a while but i’m sure you didn’t intend to get married in a rush before you sign up ?

Basically i could be away for nearly 2 years training,
if we were to be married she could get a place near the base during my phase 2 training meaning should only be away from me for 12 weeks,
2 years would be too long for me to be away from my family.

I guess you know more about it but it does seem that your giving up a little to easy… What about a loan then, take the debt off of the thing they are looking at and move to something you can pay off when your ready, pick one with no early repayment penalty’s and bobs your uncle.

Hectic news mate, in SA we have a few different ways to be married.

In community of property - Everything you both have is pooled when you get married and is plit upon divorce
Out of community of property - Everything is not pooled and through your marriage what is yours is yours and is not split upon divorce
Out of community of property with an accrual - Everything before is yours and what you accrue together is plit upon a divorce.

I did 1 year military service which was compulsory in the early 90’s.

8 weeks basic training
4 weeks bush phase
4 weeks platoon weapons (LMG’s, rifle mounted grenades, explosives etc)
12 weeks on riot duty in Natal (this was very hectic, we were in a 30 seater troop transporter and AK47 fire opened up around us in 1 of the townships, a friend of mine was the only person hit and the bullet went straight through his heart killing him)
5 months as an officers chef (I realised that the highest rank on the base is chef;))

Good luck in whatever you decide to do mate, everything happens for a reason.

If you went in mate and spent the minimum how long would it take to pay off the arrear’s?
Also have you had a talk with the army people? If you are already paying off the arrears does that still count as a bad debt?
Don’t give up yet mate.

Doesn’t really make sense to me why they would care about money…whatever debts you have, is nothing to do with them… aslong as your making steps to pay them off…

odd…

think the best bet is take a loan and pay it off over the time as they dont worry about that right ?

Good luck in the Army, Andy…I did 10 years as a ‘Wanky Tanky’, 13/18th Royal Hussars to be precise and loved every moment of it. If you can take a bit of discipline and understand the reasons for it, you will breeze your basic training and come out of it a new man, feeling pretty confident about life, the universe and everything !!!.. all the very best to you M8.:tiphat:

Basically placid,
the army wont want to pay someone with one hand of the government just for me to hand it back again,
they dont care about the likes of just for instance mobile phone bills etc,
they only care about crown debts,
things like rent (not a crown debt unless its council i belive but they dont like it either way)
and council tax.

so basically i myself have a small council tax arrear and would take me a couple of weeks to get rid of it.
however helen’s rent arrears like i said were left by her ex in 2000,
i mean ffs i was still in school then non the wiser to the future just like everyone else why the hell should i pay a debt like that regardless of its size.
yes i want to join the army but its also the principle of it.
the rent arrears stand currently at around 2.5k - 3k and it would take me 3 months of wages to clear it.
meaning helen would have to live off child tax benifit,
it would be tight but certainly dooable.
but the army asked about any of my debts or helen’s debts and they said well sorry now we know of them we cannot let you join untill they are clear.
so
i either look for another job and try and pay the debts off as a civilian i have plenty of time to join the army no big rush,
im 20 the cutoff age is 30 or 35 cant remember but either way thats plenty of time.
or i forget it because Im too proud and british to pay off that a$$wipes debt.
or on the other hand i can try and fight it in court and the only way to ensure i can afford a court battle like that i would have to have a really low income or be on benifits.

my head hurts with all this carp.
Andy.

Borrow it, steal it, whatever. If this is what you want MAKE IT HAPPEN don’t just give up. If you have your family & friends round you it will come right, but only if you stick at it.

So your saying its not your fault and because its not easy you won’t do it.

Blimey, maybe your not right for the army.

Your putting up barriers and making this the armys fault when its not, so they have a rule that says you can’t have a crown debt, then get rid of it…

Im not putting up barriers.
im not saying its the army’s fualt.
its helen’s ex’s fualt for being a bum and not paying what he owes.
im not giving up either.
lawyers here have told me they cant help wich is a pain in the ass.
all i was saying in the above post was would you pay a debt off that was left by your partner many years before you actually get with them?

my plan at the moment is to get a civi job and pay off the debt asap.
once im done with that carry on with the application.
in a sense it probably works out better as the kids by then will be old enough to understand it all better and would also give me more time to train for it :slight_smile:
so no im not giving up im just not exactly chuffed with it.
just gonna take a lot longer is all.
thanks for the support though guys its very much apreciated :slight_smile:
Andy.

That’s more like it buddy :thumbsup:, buckle down, drive on, you make your own “luck” in today’s world

ah ok makes a little more sense now I spose…

Still why dont u just take a loan out pay off the debt in one hit and then pay the loan back… thats not a crown debt then ?

and then your sorted for the army then…

Glad your not giving up :slight_smile: hope it all goes well :slight_smile:

I would get a loan but i cant get accepted for one because i have no credit rating wich i hear is just as bad as having a bad one.
all great fun isnt it :slight_smile:

yep the whole thing stinks, glad to see you putting your head down and power through, but i totaly disagree with having to pay off some wazzocks debts, its not on at all, but big gratz to you for getting on with it.