Latest Updates

There are 136 UK schools that participate in IB, most seem to focus on the Diploma years

The only one in Reading appears to be a Girls school though.

Thanks, I saw that. No PYP option yet :frowning:

@DoubleTop can you give me any advice regarding state schools in and around Reading? My boys are 11 and currently in Grade 5 in the IB system. From my research they would be pushed in to grade 7 from the next school year starting Sep 2023. I will probably have to fight to keep them in Grade 6 I would imagine? The switch from IB to British may be a bit tough for them if they jump up to Grade 7.

Grades/years are an odd thing.

Where I went to school had a three tier system, Primary, Middle and Upper

Primary was the finger painting years
Middle was the OMG I Hate HoMeWork and drawing cocks on each others exercise books
Upper was the build up to exams

MIddle school was years 3,4,5
Upper school was 3,4,5 and 6 if you opted to stay on another year for A-levels
(I was invited to NOT stay)

Then the council decided to switch to a Two Tier system so they could build houses on 33% of county schools.

So its based on how old you were at the start of the Academic year as to which year you go into.
My youngest three are 11,12,13, are now all out of Primary school and now all get on the same bus together.

There is loads of stuff you can access, home schooling gave this a boost)

Thanks Mr Witt, the Year/Grades thing is indeed confusing. Our boys went back a Year/Grade when they moved from the Cambridge system to IB. The misalignment of the school year and the time of the year we moved didn’t help either. In SA the school year is from Jan to Dec, in Qatar from Sep to Jul. SA has 4 terms, Qatar has 3.

Thank you for the link

both the boys went to https://www.reading-school.co.uk/

not a lot more in my knowledge bank than what TF has put forward. All I know is that once assembly was cancelled as there was a bird of prey in the main hall …

1 Like

I can beat that on a personal level.
My first day in a primary school, involved singing hymns.
Half way through “All things Bright and Beautiful” a BFO wasp stung me on the neck.

Found you a private plate for when you make the move

Imgur

2 Likes

Hahahahaha, awesome. Our move is looking more and more guaranteed. My wife has been offered the job, they just need to put the salary offer on the table. Will probably stay around Oxford, Winchester or Reading area.

Oxford, it has warning signs about the presence of Cyclists at every entrance to the Medieval centre.

It was also twinned with PERM in that there Russia, but don’t worry that has been addressed in light of Mad Vlad bombing the BeJesus out of Ukraine.
The Signs have been modified such that Oxford is twinned with ALL of Russia now

If you live in certain parts of Oxford there are restrictions on car usage monitored by ANPR.
You can only drive into or out of your allocated “Enclave” 100 times a year.
If you drive in one of the other five Enclaves you will get a £60 fine from each one.

This is all a ruse to get people to move out so more housing stock inside the ring road becomes student housing.

The Cunzilla behind all this drives 14 miles to work, uses free council car parking and gets free Vegan lunches.

Electric vehicles are not exempt from this scheme.
There is even a restriction on access to the main car park in Oxford that will sting you for using one of two routes from the ring road.
Comically, the approved access route to the car park is going to be shut for a year due to a rail bridge upgrade.

You can still cycle into Oxford, but you stand a very good chance of getting to walk home

Well, that all sounds very confusing. Thanks for the information though.

Our move is just about guaranteed, my wife has accepted the job but Microsoft in all their wisdom has put a freeze on hiring until the new year so we’ll probably only move around April.

Any good places to buy an old dirt bike? I want to buy something that needs fixing up so myself and my 2 boys can do it as a project together.

Not mine but on another forum I use, two wheels is not my preference…

Outgrown and the kids are going onto the RS 50 once they turn 16.
It’s all good apart from a worn back tyre.
Handlebars are only dropped on as I have to take them off for storage. Currently allowed in the kitchen as unlike most of my other stuff it doesn’t drip and mark it’s territory.

Proper 4 speed gearbox with clutch, easily pulls an adult looking for about £450 got some Castor in with the petrol to smell like the speedway.

Ideal for wanna be drug dealers, promising footballers unsigned rappers etc.

Hahaha, what on earth is it?

Looks like it may be a bit small, my son is almost 12 but he’s 1.7m tall. He’s been training at the local track on a full size Suzuki 125 or a mini GP 150.

I think it is a PIT bike, I dont know for certain.
Transport that falls over doesn’t hold my interest, see also Horses for a side-category.

There are websites for a few places around Reading that have tracks, not sure how many will still be in business but maybe a days bike rental would be a useful taster for Dirt-Bike riding with UK weather.
It may be less fun than SA/UaE play days.

Riding about on a Dirt Bike often attracts the attention of something called India 99 if you dont use private land

1 Like

How is the collar bone? Legendary mini-moto moment

Loud exhaust noises, crash noise, silence, VERY LOUD “Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck”

Using a pull-start requires two fully functioning collarbones, ignoring this may cause harsh words.

Bones heal, but they all ache on cold damp days like today.
That wasn’t my first X-ray :wink:

I hear you, I smashed my ankle up about 8 years ago when a car pulled out in front of me when I was doing ~80km/h on my SV1000 on my way to work. 7 days in hospital, 3.5 hour surgery, ankle joint rebuild and bone from the bone bank later I still only have 60% movement in my ankle and it hurts like a mofo if I walk too much :frowning:

Finally it is all coming together. The wife got her official offer and starts on the 6th of November so we’ll be aiming to move to the UK on the 1st. Now we need to find decent temp accomodation while we find a medium term rental. Hopefully we can get the kids in to a school using an AirBNB address

3 Likes

Just be honest with the school, let them know you are using short term rentals until you can move into a property within “Active Travel” distance, schools love that crap.

“My kids are keen cyclists and want to build their independance…”

1 Like

Thanks, we have contacted a few schools and they’re OK with an AirBNB address. We’re looking to live around Oxford, apparently it’s quite a transitory area so short term rentals etc are quite common.