Lifemapper Information and Links

Originally posted by Mojo
[b]Lifemapper is a DC project concerned with mapping the geographic spread of species of plants, fish and animals

Lifemapper Main Site
Lifemapper Project and Client FAQ
Download Lifemapper Client
Lifemapper New Members Registration
Lifemapper Message Board
Lifemapper Group (Team) Listings
Lifemapper Member Listings
TPR Individual Member Scores

Lifemapper Monitoring Tools

Jeff’s Lifemapper Stats (please note currently down)
[TPR](http://www.adventurevision.com/lifemapper/Team Phoenix Rising.html)
Top 300 Individuals

Darkness Productions Stats [/B]

For those who are tracking stats like mad please note that…

Originally posted by metz2000
Stats on the lifemapper site are updated at:

9am UTC

… and …

9pm UTC

If using the GUI is what you want to do to “see” your units and how they are processing then there are a couple of ways to tidy things up a bit.

Originally posted by HairyMonster
[b]Some people have said the constantly scrolling news in the client annoys them. Remove it easily as follows:

Open up the Layout.xml file (Notepad is as good as any for this) and remove the line that mentions TickerTape.

Don’t know if this actually stops the system producing the info and hence is faster, or not, but it stops it being displayed anyway.

Oh, and restart the client. [/b]

For those of us wishing to promote LifeMapper and an easy way to track your progress, thanks to Riddler we have sigs for LifeMapper.

Originally posted by riddlermarc
[b]Okay, I’ve just added a Lifemapper siggy to my website… use the following link and replace 1416 with your ID number:

http://www.riddlermarc.co.uk/lm_sig.php?uid=1416

You can grab your ID number from the following page on my site (you can also click the member Name for more details):
http://www.riddlermarc.co.uk/dev/lm/show_variablestats_tpr.php
[/b]

With the advent of the CLI, you can set up LifeMapper to run as a service. For this you can choose which version of the CLI to choose.
The Beta version links can be found in the follow on post.

Originally posted by Jeff
[b]Adapted from the Frogs Folding@Home as a service page found here…
http://folding.amdmbpond.com/service.html
(thanks Frogs!!! :thumbsup: )

[quote]Running the LifeMapper CLI Client as a Service in Windows NT/2000/XP

There are several reasons that you might want to run the LifeMapper CLI as a Windows service, rather than as a normal application. The most obvious is that it gets rid of the taskbar button, reducing clutter. The second is if you prefer, for whatever reason, to run the client in “stealth” mode, i.e., not visible to casual viewers. The final and possibly most useful reason is that when the LifeMapper CLI is running as a service, you are no longer required to be logged in to the machine for the LifeMapper CLI to run. This means that if something causes the machine to reboot, the LifeMapper CLI will resume processing even sitting at the Windows login screen. The following takes you through the process of setting up the LifeMapper CLI client to run as a Windows service.

This procedure makes a couple of fundamental assumptions. First of all, it assumes that you have already installed and configured the LifeMapper CLI(text-based) console client. If not, a trip to the LifeMapper web site will get you started. Secondly, it assumes that the path to the client is "C:\lifemapper". If you have the LifeMapper CLI installed in a different directory, modify the instructions accordingly.

In addition to your LifeMapper CLI installation which is assumed to be installed in [b]c:\lifemapper[/b], you will need the two small Microsoft programs in order to set up your service. Instsrv.exe is the program used to create a Windows service, and Srvany.exe is a program that allows almost any other program to run as a service. These files are available in Microsoft’s Windows Resource Kit, at various internet sites, or you can just download them both here.

Step 1.
Put Instsrv.exe and Srvany.exe in your LifeMapper CLI directory.

Step 2.
From the Start button, go to Programs->Accessories, then click on Command Prompt. This will open a command window, where you’ll need to change to your LifeMapper directory by typing cd\lifemapper, then pressing ENTER.

Step 3.
Type instsrv LifeMapper c:\lifemapper\srvany.exe and press ENTER. This will create a service called “LifeMapper”. You can substitute a different service name if you wish. If the process is successful, you’ll see the following message:

CreateService SUCCESS at creating:

LifeMapper

You must now go to the Registry and the Services applet in the
Control Panel and edit them as per the instructions.

When you’re done, just minimize the command window, as we’ll be returning to it later in the process.

Step 4.
Open Regedit by clicking Start->Run, then typing regedit and pressing ENTER.

Step 5.
Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LifeMapper

Step 6.
In the left pane of the registry window, click on the LifeMapper key. Then, in the right pane, right-click and choose NEW -> KEY. Name the key Parameters

Step 7.
In the newly-created Parameters key, right-click and choose NEW -> STRING VALUE. Name the value AppDirectory

Step 8.
Repeat Step 7 to create a second new string value. Name it Application

Step 9.
Repeat Step 7 to create a third new string value. Name it AppParameters

Step 10.
Double-click on the String Value “AppDirectory”. This will bring up the Modify dialog box. Set the value for AppDirectory to [b]c:\lifemapper[/b]

Step 11.
Double-click on the String Value “Application” Set the value for Application to c:\lifemapper\lifemapper_cmd.exe

Step 12.
Double-click on the String Value “AppParameters” Set the value for Application to -q -e <your LifeMapper email address> -p 64
[size=1](NOTE: The above sets the client to quiet mode, with a low/idle priority. Feel free to add/change the options as you see fit. Just look at the readme.txt file included with the LifeMapper CLI for available options.)

Step 13.
Close Regedit

Step 14.
Stop your existing LifeMapper client(if it is running)

Step 15.
Return to the command window and type net start lifemapper, then press ENTER. If everything is configured correctly, you should see a message indicating that the LifeMapper service was started successfully. If you encounter any errors, the most common causes are that there is either a missing file, or one of the paths was entered incorrectly.

The newly-created LifeMapper service will now function as it always has in terms of processing, uploading, and downloading, and any monitoring software will continue to work normally.

If for any reason you should decide you want to remove the LifeMapper service, go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. Right-click on the LifeMapper service and choose STOP. After the service is stopped, open a command-prompt window, navigate to your folding directory, and type instsrv LifeMapper remove. This will completely remove the service from your system. You can still run your LifeMapper client as you did before, as a normal application.
[/size]
[/B][/quote]

And Extra Priority settings:

Originally posted by Len
[b]If you are running Win2k or WinXP:

16384: below normal
32768: above normal

Does NOT work for WinNT, Win9x; not sure about WinME. [/B]

For monitoring of the LifeMapper service there are a couple of tools available. Firstly CoolMon.

Originally posted by metz2000
[b]Once the Lifemapper CLI is running as a service (using the instructions above) you may want to have an easy way to monitor the progressing WUs.

Monitoring Lifemapper CLI recipe - delicious! (approximately 15 mins in a pre-heated oven)

[ol]
[li]Download CoolMon (takes you to the d/l page, not the file).
[/li]> [li]Get CoolMon all set up and running (I’m not going into this, there are plenty of help files on their site, figure it out for yourself)! Once configured as you wish go to next step!
[/li]> [li]Right-Click the CoolMon icon in the system tray, and select “Display Items”
[/li]> [li]Add the following code to your CoolMon configuration pane:
[/li]

<U>LifeMapper</U>
Species: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\lifemapper\processing.txt,8,23">
Name: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\lifemapper\processing.txt,9,23">
% Complete: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\lifemapper\processing.txt,11,23">
Total WUs: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\lifemapper\processing.txt,7,23">
WUs cached: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\lifemapper\processing.txt,13,23">
Results cached: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\lifemapper\processing.txt,14,23">

[li]Providing the Lifemapper CLI is installed in [b]C:\lifemapper\[/b] then this should work. Modify colors/styles as you wish (again, see CoolMon help files for this info).

[/li]> [li]Lastly, enjoy!
[/li]> [/ol]

Many users have favorite ways to install and monitor Distributed Computing projects - this guide is from a discussion on IRC with Curly99 on how he has LifeMapper installed and running.

Firstly you need to get three files.

The LifeMapper Client 1.0.03 (beta release)
An application that monitors your cache for “bad” job-packets
A progress monitor program for viewing how your service packets are doing

Now the process of installation is …

Extract the client application to a location you want to run from. Then you can install it as a service manually using the guide above.
Every so often, or after every download of a new cache of packets, run the packet checker to as the names suggests check the packets.
Have DCMonitor running to track the progress of your cache and packets.

Now there is another option that is very simple, download the 1.0.03 service installer
This has numerous sub directories for single and multiple cpu confgiurations. Also assumes that your LifeMapper directory is c:\Program Files\LifeMapperCLI
To add any command line parameters such as cache and email - I would recommend your edit the LifemapperCLI.reg file and in the line AppParameters use “-c 200” to set cache to 200 “-e <email>” sets your email and then you can use the other flags to set parameters for running the CLI. Once service has been successfully installed, then you can use the packet watcher and dcmonitor tools above to monitor your processes.

Please note that as the service installer does import values to the registry, I cannot be held responsible for any damage to your operating system. I can verify that I have ran it on my own system and it rans fine, but as we all know with PC’s this is not a complete test of software.

…and finally, the method I use to run Lifemapper just because it makes it so very easy to monitor.

I firstly download the client and place it into <drive>:\LifemapperCLI

The simply right click and select create shortcut, to which I then right click and goto properties. On the end of the “target” line I then add the command line parameters I want to use, in my case simply -c 50.

So now the client is running and processing job packets, downer being the dos box open on my desktop, so I then just use the trayit application to hide the dos box. Simple app that if you hold down the CTRL key and then minimise a window it places that window in your system tray. (please note link is to trayit site)

and an in development post for the TPR Lifemapper controller.

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=26148

DT.

Amendment to the post, the development posts will be kept as up to date as possible, but I’ve thrown together the page http://www.doubletop.org.uk/lifemapperdriver/ for more up to date info.

DT.

Poss needs droping as a sticky, seeing as the project is finished (My £0.02)